Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

Staining mortar ?

Okay guys, i could use your help. I Just finishing up an outdoor kitchen made of cinder blocks and concrete countertop. the kitchen is the finishing touch to a 750 sq ft cement patio and we are planning to stain the entire thing. I want to add some texture over the blocks that make up the walls of the bar. What should I use that will take an acid based stain ? Mortar seems to work but will it last and will it take the stain? Should I use stucco or a cement mixture without the rocks mixed in? Advice anyone ? Thanks.

TCS-Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #2

Staining mortar ?

Name:  image-2529242986.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

Staining mortar ?

http://www.surecretedesign.com/produ...rotopping.html
acid staining can be a little tricky on verticle surfaces. you can stain stucco type mix or use a micro topping that accepts acid stain for better results. the micro topping mix is a white/gray mix that is more dense than stucco mix and takes stain much better. you may want to look into the eco-stain products as well. eco-stains are more user friendly and the colors are much more consistant with the color charts. acid stains take a lot of practice and testing to get results even close to the color charts in most cases. some acid stain colors will not do well in sunlight due to the type of pigments used in them, green and blue colors will turn black with UV exposure. acid stains need to "burn" anywhere from 4-24 hours to acheive the selected color and it will need to be neutralized and sealed before you can see the final results.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Tileguy

Staining mortar ?

Take a look at the EFIS products for the vertical planes, you may like those offerings. Regular acid-stains could be used on the horizontal surfaces but I think a good sealer would also be in order afterwards. Someone here will know what products will work out doors. In your area they should all work fine. Assuming TCS Austin means Texas. Why not fill out your personal information it can be very helpful to us?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Staining mortar ?

Makes sense. Didn't even think about stain running on a vertical surface. Would have found out eventually lol. Thanks for your help. I'll check the link. I am on an iPhone app and can't edit my profile? But yes I'm in Austin TX.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Staining mortar ?

If you want to acid stain it, I would recommend using a plaster mix that contains more Portland than lime as it stains far better/consistently than lime. As Mmike noted, you need to be real careful with over applying on vert. surfaces.

If you're just looking at a little color & texture, you may just want to tint a mortar & try a few different approaches to get the finish you want. One easy one is to take a double "crows-foot" brush get it wet, and work it in a circular motion over the still-wet plaster coat.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote