Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #1

Share |

Staggering Hardiplank Joints

Soon my garage remodel will be back in full swing afetr the winter off. The south and west sides have been reframed after replacing the top plate,windows and door in,trimmed and aluminum wrapped,hardiplanked and caulked.Looks great. The next step is the north gable end. This wall is 24' long,which is great no waste on the 12' hardiplank. The only shame is that I'll have to cut up the 12' pieces in order to stagger joints, I guess into four,sixes an eights, and have a pattern repeat every third or fourth row. Right? Any advice or suggestions ( that means you,Atlantic ) would be appreciated.

white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

The fact that you have to cut up the boards to create staggered lengths is not really going to waste all that much stock. In fact, when you purchase flooring, it is shipped in random lengths for the same reason.

Here is a pretty thorough discussion that answers your question:

http://www.helium.com/items/814835-c...tiful-addition

Go to the last several paragraphs. There's further discussion in the overall article that you should review as well.

Good Luck.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
J Calvin Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
The fact that you have to cut up the boards to create staggered lengths is not really going to waste all that much stock. In fact, when you purchase flooring, it is shipped in random lengths for the same reason.
Good Luck.
Besides, you do have some sort of trim board on the os corners that will take up several inches. That will put your length down to 23'5" if you are using 5/4x4 and 23'1" if you are using 5/4x6.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
I have gas!

I'm not an experienced siding guy, but I've been placing my courses like a typewritter. Bring the cut off portion of the right side and use as the first piece on left side. I only keep the pieces that are at least 3 ft long.
This method, however, won't give you any pattern. I don't know which is more pleasing to the eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvin View Post
Besides, you do have some sort of trim board on the os corners that will take up several inches. That will put your length down to 23'5" if you are using 5/4x4 and 23'1" if you are using 5/4x6.
Almost, you forgot to add an inch on each side for the miter or cornerboard overlap.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 04-30-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses, and the article,Atlantic. I think I have a good idea how to go about this now. Another thing that I wasn't thinking about before is that I'll have two windows and a door that will break up the joints too.
white29 is offline   Reply With Quote