Staggering Exisiting Cabinets - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Staggering exisiting Cabinets

I Want to stagger my existing kitchen cabinets. The are flush. So they will all be the same depth. I want to raise 3 of them to give them a staggered look. I realize the crown will need adjusting but does anyone have any opinions? Advice?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Kjm25bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Which ones--typically the 'raised' cabinets are actually taller than the surrounding cabinets.

I do like the look of raised or staggered cabinets ,but I wonder about the look when the bottoms won't match.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

What a huge space!

Personally - I'd build decorative shelving that would nest right into the entire area - items can still be on display and maybe some more cabinets can fit.

To stagger existing cabinets you'd have to remove the ones you'd like the relocate - locate the studs above them - and reattach. Then stain, paint or cover the newly visible sides, cut old trim or new trim to fit.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

I think it breaks the monotony......

This is what we did with ours.....but then again, I made my own....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
I think it breaks the monotony......

This is what we did with ours.....but then again, I made my own....
So the cabinet above your refrigerator is not flush on the bottom with the cabinet next to it?
Thanks
Kjm25bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #6

When staggering cabinets the correct way, while using crown molding is anytime you bump up you must bump out.. So the crown molding has somewhere to end into flush.. I've seen it done without bumping out, but personally doesnt look right...

I would suggest bumping up and out ( making the cabinets 15" deep) the micro and fridge cabinets.. Use reguler framing to create the bump outs and purchases some 1/4" skins from the cabinet supplier ( make sure they are 15" deep, at least ) and run them along side of the cabinets to hide the framing you created to make the cabinets apear like they are 15" deep... You will also need more crown molding since you will now be creating 3 15"+ returns...
shillins24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjm25bball View Post
So the cabinet above your refrigerator is not flush on the bottom with the cabinet next to it?
Thanks
Correct....see below....for that reason......

Additionally, that cabinet above the fridge is adjustable in height....and has in fact already been raised....we have a new fridge that is a lot bigger....so I raised it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillins24 View Post
When staggering cabinets the correct way, while using crown molding is anytime you bump up you must bump out.. So the crown molding has somewhere to end into flush.. I've seen it done without bumping out, but personally doesnt look right...

I would suggest bumping up and out ( making the cabinets 15" deep) the micro and fridge cabinets.. Use reguler framing to create the bump outs and purchases some 1/4" skins from the cabinet supplier ( make sure they are 15" deep, at least ) and run them along side of the cabinets to hide the framing you created to make the cabinets apear like they are 15" deep... You will also need more crown molding since you will now be creating 3 15"+ returns...
If you don't have the ability to make your own...then that is the way to do it.....

For reference....the cabinet with the oven in it...is 24" deep...the rest of them are 19" or 12" deep.

I'm not fast...but woodworking is good mental relaxation for me....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Dee

Location: Texas! I wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could.

Hi Kim.. We frequently do the 'raised cabinets', as you're asking about, when we build new homes.

I've included a picture to show you.

I'm not sure what you mean by raising the cabinets to get staggering effect? If you do that, then the bottom isn't even.

Or maybe you meant you'll replace the cabinets with higher cabinets as we've done in this picture? ...which is very simple, btw!

dee

Advertisement

SmallHouseLife is offline   Reply With Quote