Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Share |

Squirrel nest inside wall...my at the things I encounter

Check this out...

1. I was doing some remodeling in an old house.
2. I noticed some mold and rot starting at the bottom of a piece of sheet rock.
3. I took the piece down...to find a squirrels nest nestled between the sheet rock and chimney!!

So the squirrel ate through the siding which is the first Ive seen. He then ate his way to the inside wall...what a mess.

What kind of ideas do u guys have with fixing this project up near a chimney from this simple picture? What would you do?

bml.4517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Squirrels are a problem you must address. If your cohabitant is captured and released it will repeat it's behaviour either on your abode or someone else's (depending on how far you take it away).

If you just close the hole, it will make another. It has learned how to go through plywood and can do so quickly. You could make a trap door so as it leaves the nest, it enters the trap. You could also set the trap on one of it's pathways. I suggest peanut butter on a slice of apple skewered on a small tree or bush stick and positioned just past the trigger. Have a trashcan a bit bigger than the trap and filled with water. Submerge the trap when you capture it.

Squirrels in attics are a major cause of fires. Mom squirrel has 2 litters of 2 each year. When the babies are ~2months old, they go through a toothing frenzy and gnaw on anything, including electrical wiring.

If you close the squirrel door and the squirrel is still home, it will stink for a year.

gobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #3

Lol oh goodness. Squirrel madness! So there are three black snakes in the attic...or was since Ive been remodeling...less than a week at this job. Im assuming the keep the population of little squirellets at a minimum haha but i will be getting rid of all the critters very soon. I will take your recommendation under advisement. Thanks pal
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

Here is a brief picture. Will post more as I progress
Attached Thumbnails
Squirrel nest inside wall...my at the things I encounter-forumrunner_20120930_215913.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The squirrels of Central Illinois were brought over from Europe by a brilliant University of Illinois President who sought to beautify the campus with them. They do not seem to have known predators so do not count on your black attic snakes eating them if the same species.

As mentioned, the best approach is to get them out in a manner that lets you relocated them. Traps work well come spring. This way you can move them somewhere else. They will pass learned behaviors from generation to generation.

If you just want to get them out? Spray with stuff an exterminator used once. I and the cats could not smell it but it was processed fox urine or something. The little suckers literally flew out their egress ports within seconds of catching a wiff of it.

They are not especially smart but are clever little devils so good luck.

As a side comments, you might want to update your profile with general geographic location so we know where you are.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #6

Are you sure it's squirrels and not racoons?
user1007 (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bml.4517 View Post
Lol oh goodness. Squirrel madness! So there are three black snakes in the attic...or was since Ive been remodeling...less than a week at this job. Im assuming the keep the population of little squirellets at a minimum haha but i will be getting rid of all the critters very soon. I will take your recommendation under advisement. Thanks pal
I have never encountered a snake as high up as an attic. This would have gotten my attention for a minute or two! I have learned to get along with most but if I encountered one like you did? I wonder what they were doing that far up. Basements and maybe first floors I can understand. I wonder how they are getting up and down?

The raccoon comment above seems a greater possibility to me also. I have never encountered a squirrel nest in a wall. Raccoons commonly nest in walls and are certainly more capable than squirrels of damaging siding. Be careful working around their feces. It can carry nasty diseases. Trappers in Illinois have to dispose of raccoons they catch.

This brings to mind something to mention. I have encountered chewed 2x4s, siding and things from time to time that turned out to be from escaped hamsters, gunea pigs and things. Was the siding you found chewed from the inside or outside as far as you could tell?

I wonder if the house had kids with hamsters and snakes as pets?

I think I would call "Poltergiests R Us" or whatever service works your area just be safe.

As for blocking ingress/egress for whatever you have? Have you checked all the flashing around the chimney, vent pipes and things? Obviously the hole in the siding is a clue.

Last edited by user1007; 10-01-2012 at 08:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

I was told by an "oldtimer" once they hate moth balls. I know for certain mice can't stand them, and it seemed the squirrels didn't either. we had 'em in the attic once and installed a one-way wired gate in their hole, then poured a box of moth balls in the attic. once they left the attic we removed the gate and closed in the hole. kept a close eye on things and they never returned.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

[quote=sdsester;1020961]The squirrels of Central Illinois were brought over from Europe by a brilliant University of Illinois President who sought to beautify the campus with them. quote]

That's funny, because in UK we have almost a plague of grey squirrels, descended from a few brought over from America ( I think in the late 19th century) but only relatively recently released into the wild.
They are aggressive little creatures and have driven our native red squirrel up into the far north of Scotland, and almost to extinction.
They look cute, but strip trees, forage through bins and make a nuisance of themselves.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #10

As I venture further into the "pest" issues I notice that there is some roof rot...yay. the original contractor didnt put a saddle on the chimney and the cement is so shatty. So...yep it is raining! The roof is leaking around the chimney flashing and is now dripping in the house near the critters prior location of its nest. Gotta love remodeling a "simple project".

1. Take off designated shingles
2. Replace a couple of osb's
2. Replace the shingles above
3. Make a saddle for chimney and flash it
4. Cement and seal the chimney
5. Hopefully not run into anymore water issues
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins
I was told by an "oldtimer" once they hate moth balls. I know for certain mice can't stand them, and it seemed the squirrels didn't either. we had 'em in the attic once and installed a one-way wired gate in their hole, then poured a box of moth balls in the attic. once they left the attic we removed the gate and closed in the hole. kept a close eye on things and they never returned.
Yessir, after I get this roof issues fixed I am going to crawl up in the attic with a box of moth balls and some "great stuff" foam and seal any holes, nooks, and crannies. If I liked cats the least bit I would throw one or two up in the attic and let them work it out muahaha jk. Thanks buddy
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
I have never encountered a snake as high up as an attic. This would have gotten my attention for a minute or two! I have learned to get along with most but if I encountered one like you did? I wonder what they were doing that far up. Basements and maybe first floors I can understand. I wonder how they are getting up and down?

The raccoon comment above seems a greater possibility to me also. I have never encountered a squirrel nest in a wall. Raccoons commonly nest in walls and are certainly more capable than squirrels of damaging siding. Be careful working around their feces. It can carry nasty diseases. Trappers in Illinois have to dispose of raccoons they catch.

This brings to mind something to mention. I have encountered chewed 2x4s, siding and things from time to time that turned out to be from escaped hamsters, gunea pigs and things. Was the siding you found chewed from the inside or outside as far as you could tell?

I wonder if the house had kids with hamsters and snakes as pets?

I think I would call "Poltergiests R Us" or whatever service works your area just be safe.

As for blocking ingress/egress for whatever you have? Have you checked all the flashing around the chimney, vent pipes and things? Obviously the hole in the siding is a clue.
Yes. When I went up in the attic, close to the entrance were 3 four to five foot black snake skins. So they got up there. The house is located in Southwest Virginia; prime snake country. The actual hole was in the upper corner of the siding under the eave where the chimney comes down.