Sprayed Wall Texture Not Durable & Chipping? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sprayed Wall Texture Not Durable & Chipping?

K. I sprayed the entire upstairs of our home about 10 years ago using basically watered down joint compound then painted everything. The problem that we are having is that it is not durable whatsoever. Just the slightest bump or scrape will knock a hunk off. It's really noticeable since the walls are a beige/brown and every nick shows bright white. Over the years it's starting to look pretty bad where the kiddo is the busiest. I'm not new to any home repairs but did I miss something? I know some folks like to primer before or after the texture but I didn't think it was needed if I just threw on a couple coats of what I thought was decent latex. Could it be bad or cheap paint that we used? Someone told me that they dumped primer in with the mud. That just seems like a horrible mess. Anyway, any tips would be great for the next texture job. Plus whatever I can do to preserve what's upstairs on the walls...would some expensive top of the line latex help out?

Thanks much,
Robert

Advertisement

RRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Anyone????

Advertisement

RRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

If it makes you feel any better, I have the same issue. I think I might have painted over mine too early? I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.
my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

Was it the compound/texture sealed with anything prior to paint? If not that could be the problem. With extensive plaster repair I used Gardz to seal all the compound prior to paint.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Could have been the compound that was used in the first place. I normally use All purpose, not any of the lites. A good primer and paint should help tone down the problem. The older I get the less I see, so I have begun to add paint pigment to my compound so that I can see where and how even the texture is. Just ask the paint store for a small amount and add in.