Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Spray foam

I was wondering if there are any spray foam kits that are available to DIY people. I used insulation in my basement between the joists and its not working as good as i want it to. I see allot of that blue spray foam on tv and was wondering if there are ways to diy.

simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Spray foam

Google it on the net, there are several available.

Depending on your sq.ft. it may be more advantagous to hire someone who does it daily.

What are you trying to acheive with the insulation between the joists? Crawl Space or Basement?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Spray foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb View Post
I was wondering if there are any spray foam kits that are available to DIY people. I used insulation in my basement between the joists and its not working as good as i want it to. I see allot of that blue spray foam on tv and was wondering if there are ways to diy.
That's not something that you want to DIY, unless you're using a small amount. It can get very messy, and is hard to remove from skin.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #4

Spray foam

Its for in a basement between joists only at the ends.

I know its prety measy and sticky, i used the cans from HD and you have to make sure you dont get it on your hands or anywhere you dont want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
Google it on the net, there are several available.

Depending on your sq.ft. it may be more advantagous to hire someone who does it daily.

What are you trying to acheive with the insulation between the joists? Crawl Space or Basement?
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Spray foam

Yes they make small kits, here are some links

http://www.tigerfoam.com/?gclid=CKS8...FQkzgQodmneOog

http://www.intechequip.com/foamkit.htm

http://www.dow.com/buildingproducts/frothpak/

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dow-Froth-Pak-18...QQcmdZViewItem

The froth pak is one that I've talked to a rep at a builders show about. It is proably just what you want. Try to get a tyvek suit to keep it off you too.

The last link is an Ebay hit that poped up for a price check

Good luck and tell us how it works I've always wanted to try them, curioues if you can store them after use or its just a 1 time deal. I have a hilti spray gun that takes the 1 part spary that seals the tip nicely and I can keep the can for 6 months between uses.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #6

Spray foam

A few tips for using the diy foam kits. The ones we've used recommend a fairly narrow temp. range (75-80F I think). They should be set in a warm place for several hours prior to use and shaken throughly when ready to use. The cans are heavy and having a wagon or cart to move them around in is very helpful. From the time you let off the trigger till the foam sets up in the nozzle is only about 20-30- seconds so you should have a plan of attack or you will be changing nozzles frequently. As previously stated the foam sticks to everything so wear throwaway coveralls, gloves and eye protection, and if you are in an enclosed area a proper respirator. I'm not sure but I think they claim to get about 400 sq. feet out of the 80# sets.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,018

Spray foam

Another suggestion is to make sure you are done with any wiring or piping in that general area before you decide to spray foam.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote