Spots On New Concrete Pool Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Spots on new concrete pool deck

Hi,

I had a new pool built this fall. As you can see on the attached pictures the concrete decks has a lot of small and large "spots" on it. It was drizzling when they poured the deck so they covered it with a black felt cloth (the kind used by gardeners to prevent weeds). Next day when they lifted the cloth I noticed uneven colour on the deck as well as these small dirty spots. I pointed it out to the construction guys but they assured me that the concrete needs time to cure and it'll disappear.
It's been 3 months now and the spots are not getting any better from what I can tell.
Anyone has a clue what could it be? What can I or the pool company do to fix it?

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Spots on new concrete pool deck-dsc04165.jpg   Spots on new concrete pool deck-dsc04166.jpg   Spots on new concrete pool deck-dsc04167.jpg   Spots on new concrete pool deck-dsc04168.jpg  

Advertisement

trenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 766

It's certainly been long enough so I don't believe they're going to cure out and get any better. I certainly agree that they look rather ugly. I'm not sure if you could use a concrete stain to cover them. Hopefully one of the concrete experts will chime in here soon.

Advertisement

Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,464

nope, they're not going to heal 1st questions is ' did you pay them in full & why not have waited until the work was satisfactory ? nevermind answering - we all get stung now & then

acid-staining won't remove the spots - the only way to make them disappear is to cover them w/coating of some sort. we regularly refinish conc pool decks w/polymer-modified cements - its not a diy project for the avg diy'er as there's nothing at the apron/vest stores that will resolve the troubles. as a genl rule, proper mtls are only avail to licensed installers.

might contact the redi-mix company & get their advice - then look for an artisan who specializes in refinishing conc - we used eliteCrete mtls as they're the only network of similarly trained/motivated/single product distributors & artisans. post your troubles in/on concretelocator.com & see what happens,,, i'm retired so i have no dog in this hunt - good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. Just to clarify - the pool company is not denying the responsibility. I had good experiences with them so far. It's just that we decided to wait for the spring and I'm doing some research of my own.
Any idea what might have caused it?
trenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenco View Post
Any idea what might have caused it?
More than likely the material they used to cover the concrete and protect it from the rain caused it when it came in contact with the uncured concrete.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote