Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

Splice 2 6x6 beams in Simpson CCQ

Hi folks,
This is for a pergola with 6x6 posts and 6x6 (Heart Redwood) beams on top. I have a 22' length with 3 posts, and need to butt 2 12' beams on the center post. My plan was to use the Simpson CCQ-style post caps (you know the kind with the big metal "U" that holds the beam) and butt the two 6x6 beams together over the post, screwing them both into the CCQ.

I've heard that it might be better to cut notches. What's the best way to connect the two beams? The roof will not be load bearing but I might put a few corrugated panels on it at some point.

Thanks in advance!

juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

I probably do not understand your plan. You say you have 6x6 posts, and 6x6 beams. How would you notch a post to accept a beam of equal width? You can certainly use the Simpson post cap to install the beam directly above the post. Looks like the CCQ66SDS2.5 cap would work, unless I misunderstand your plan

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, my description might be confusing. The main question I have is whether it is generally acceptable to connect two beams together (end-to-end) in this bracket or if there is a better way to meet 2 6x6 beams on a post. There is a note on the Simpson specification that says, "Spliced conditions must be detailed by the Designer to transfer tension loads between spliced members by means other than the column cap." That sounds to me like possibly Simpson doesn't recommend it, but not really clear...
juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

The Simpson bracket is not designed to transfer tension loads, that is absolutely correct. However, there are no tension loads on a beam over a post subject only to vertical loading (weight). So that is not a problem, except under very unusual loading conditions such as impact (the pergola gets hit by a car), or exceptional wind conditions (the pergola is struck by a tornado). Under those conditions, it is possible for the beam to go into tension, and the splice over the post could fail under those conditions, but if either of those events occurs, you have bigger problems than a failed joint.

If this were an inhabited structure, it might be a different story, but for your use as you described, the butt splice using the post cap is fine.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote