Specialty Bolt - Lag Bolt With Attached Coupling Nut? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Specialty bolt - Lag bolt with attached coupling nut?

Hope you can help...

I need a lag bolt with an attached coupling nut! Currently I am using 1/4 or 5/16 headless hanger screws and a corresponding coupling nut. I drive the hanger screw into ceiling rafters and then thread on a coupling nut. I use this as an anchor to attach hanging shelves to ceilings. I use long threaded bars threaded into the coupling nuts to hang shelves. This is a great way to use ceiling space in garages for storage.

I recently found the exact bolt I am looking for! I was walking through the parking lot of Home Depot and found one lying on the ground. I have taken this part to all my local big box stores with no help. I have not found anyone who knows what it is called or where to get them.

This part saves time and cost by making installation easier and saving cost by not having two parts to purchase and deal with.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?
Know the name?
Know who makes them and where to purchase them?

Thanks for your help


5thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Old School
Willie T's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000

Seen one of what? I must have missed the photo.


"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Household Handyman
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,478
Rewards Points: 1,408

"5thumbs"--Personally I would not recommend this type of hanger for shelves. You are depending on the strenght of the lag bolt within the wood to support ALL of the weight on each hanger you install. I've seen too many of these fail. IF you found what I think you found, it has "lag bolt' threads on one end, and female machine threads on the other, and probably has slits in both sides which are used to screw it into the wood with. (Brain fart here) But for the life of me I cannot remember the name of that bolt. I believe you would be better off using a type of hanger that attaches to the sides of the rafters, using screws to anchor in place, and will accomidate the threaded rod with washers and nuts. Good Luck, David Another thought here: IF I were looking for the aforementioned bolt, I would try a web search at McMaster-Carr. I use them a lot.

Last edited by Thurman; 09-28-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: more info
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
I have gas!
Clutchcargo's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,975
Rewards Points: 1,374

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but for hard to find things like this, I like http://www.mcmaster.com.

It sounds like one of these:

with this coupling:

I tear things down and build them up.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 09-28-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 428
Rewards Points: 400

Sammy Screws can be found at Sammy Screws Then Products. They can be purchased at Fastenal, Graingers. But probably not a home cheapo or blows.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

lag with coupling

I moved to georgia about a year ago before that I worked for a electrical company for years..the question about a lag with a coupling well there is a such thing LL Dottie makes it google ssw38bul eighter a plumbing supply house or electrical supply house that sells dottie should carry it, they also make a similar thing for concrete that graingers has.. Hope this helps better late than never..
jlchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
DIY Hack
Mr Chips's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,306
Rewards Points: 506

Sammy Screws

are all different brand names for these screws. call your local lumber yard, plumbing supply or STAFDA house and ask if they carry one of these brands

EDIT: Just noticed this is a 2 year old thread, hopefully the op found some by now!!


Those who can, do...
Those who can't criticize on the internet

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-22-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1