DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Specialty bolt - Lag bolt with attached coupling nut? (

5thumbs 09-28-2009 11:49 AM

Specialty bolt - Lag bolt with attached coupling nut?
Hope you can help...

I need a lag bolt with an attached coupling nut! Currently I am using 1/4 or 5/16 headless hanger screws and a corresponding coupling nut. I drive the hanger screw into ceiling rafters and then thread on a coupling nut. I use this as an anchor to attach hanging shelves to ceilings. I use long threaded bars threaded into the coupling nuts to hang shelves. This is a great way to use ceiling space in garages for storage.

I recently found the exact bolt I am looking for! I was walking through the parking lot of Home Depot and found one lying on the ground. I have taken this part to all my local big box stores with no help. I have not found anyone who knows what it is called or where to get them.

This part saves time and cost by making installation easier and saving cost by not having two parts to purchase and deal with.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?
Know the name?
Know who makes them and where to purchase them?

Thanks for your help

Willie T 09-28-2009 01:05 PM

Seen one of what? I must have missed the photo.

Thurman 09-28-2009 01:24 PM

"5thumbs"--Personally I would not recommend this type of hanger for shelves. You are depending on the strenght of the lag bolt within the wood to support ALL of the weight on each hanger you install. I've seen too many of these fail. IF you found what I think you found, it has "lag bolt' threads on one end, and female machine threads on the other, and probably has slits in both sides which are used to screw it into the wood with. (Brain fart here) But for the life of me I cannot remember the name of that bolt. I believe you would be better off using a type of hanger that attaches to the sides of the rafters, using screws to anchor in place, and will accomidate the threaded rod with washers and nuts. Good Luck, David Another thought here: IF I were looking for the aforementioned bolt, I would try a web search at McMaster-Carr. I use them a lot.

Clutchcargo 09-28-2009 02:08 PM

63 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but for hard to find things like this, I like

It sounds like one of these:

with this coupling:

fireguy 09-29-2009 12:30 AM

Sammy Screws can be found at Sammy Screws Then Products. They can be purchased at Fastenal, Graingers. But probably not a home cheapo or blows.

jlchavez 08-22-2011 07:42 AM

lag with coupling
I moved to georgia about a year ago before that I worked for a electrical company for years..the question about a lag with a coupling well there is a such thing LL Dottie makes it google ssw38bul eighter a plumbing supply house or electrical supply house that sells dottie should carry it, they also make a similar thing for concrete that graingers has.. Hope this helps better late than never..

Mr Chips 08-22-2011 01:08 PM

Sammy Screws

are all different brand names for these screws. call your local lumber yard, plumbing supply or STAFDA house and ask if they carry one of these brands

EDIT: Just noticed this is a 2 year old thread, hopefully the op found some by now!!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1