Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #1

Share |

special uses for spray foam?

I would like to build some props for christmas decorations out of spray foam, anyone have any ideas or links for ideas? adding more info here.... i want to make kind of a snow cave entrance for a room in my house. So we're talking big here, and also reusable. It will probably be 100 degrees here Christmas day so I want to create a little winter wonderland.

Last edited by aussiesue; 11-21-2007 at 10:14 PM.
aussiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #2

No ideas as far as decorations go but I did just fix the leaking window in my van, you know, one of those mid 90's chevy's that rot out above the winsheild and pee's on you when it rains.

skinnyj41004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #3

all i know is that it's used for insulating pipes and roof insulation...probably snowman, snowflakes
Kitchen sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #4

thanks for you replies. I have seen a show called monster house, and they built a crocodile patio roof, I am sure they used a spray foam product, then carved it into the shape they needed. They used what we call chicken wire, over a simple timber frame, then spray it with a foam product, any ideas?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #5

If you are using the 2 lb. or rigid stuff you could carve it with an electric kitchen knife or something similar. When we change over from one type foam to another you have some waste to spray out, made a two foot tall mushroom once. One of our guys wants to build a waterfall for his back yard, plans on using chicken wire for a framework. It would probably be easy to make a christmas tree. or a snowman.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #6

As an at home mother, I don't do alot of insulation work usually, so I need to know a little more detail of how the foam is used and whether it is only a bulk item or whether a DIYer can get their hands on enough of it to build......ice and snow scultures. I want to create a winter wonderland feel for my kids this Christmas, and as we will be in the height of our summer, and we nevere ever get snow here I wanted to make it awesome for them. Nothing liking taking a little idea and letting it get out of hand. Any ideas?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #7

Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away. I know you can buy the canned stuff at home improvement places but I don't know what kind of square foot coverage you can expect. One kind remains white while the other turns a orange color. You might try cotton batting, white foam packing peanuts or there used to be spray snow in a can available. Happy Holidays.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #8

Sounds like a great idea. Living in Florida all my life, I have only seen the "white-stuff" one time, back in '77. I have used the foam sprak, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The only problem, as mentioned before, I have no idea as to how many cans you would need. You could build it as stated, out of a wood frame, with a wire mesh to hold it all together, and give it some "body". I liked the ide of the electric knife to cut and form the item.

If you make something, why don't you post a photo. I'd like to see it.

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote