DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Special door required? (

docmattman 05-10-2010 10:06 PM

Special door required?
I purchased a house with an unfinished 2nd floor. In one of the rooms I am putting in a closet door to the attic space (to have access to everything behind the walls. When I got my rough framing inspection done, the guy mentioned something about an "R19" door.

I asked around and nobody has ever heard of this. If I have a doorway to attic space (not a insulated closet), do I need a special door, or can I get a basic pre-hung hallow-core door from home depot?

Scuba_Dave 05-10-2010 10:09 PM

Is the attic area fireblocked ?
If its a wide open area I'd install a solid door to slow down any possible fire
A solid door will also keep the cold out
Never heard of an R19 door

secutanudu 05-10-2010 10:10 PM

Maybe it's some sort of insulated door? R-value maybe?

docmattman 05-10-2010 10:19 PM

I'm not sure if it's fireblocked. It's not a huge open space.

I was planning on getting the basic prehung door and just adding weather stripping to it. Would this pass by coding standards?

docmattman 05-11-2010 09:04 PM

That link doesn't work.

So do you think I could just use a hallow-core door and put the foam board and firestop on the attic side or would it need to be a solid door?

Gary in WA 05-11-2010 09:06 PM

R-19 is what is required on your room/attic walls for your locale. Weatherstrip and attach rigid foam board to the attic side, cover with material (fire-stopping over rigid foam) if required in your locale.

Ask the Inspector
, many people don't understand heat loss and R-values.

Be safe, Gary

Gary in WA 05-11-2010 09:09 PM

If you have heating/cooling units, it may need solid core- ask the inspector or check their on-line web site like this:

Most city/county have them.

Be safe, Gary

jogr 05-11-2010 09:43 PM

Generally speaking the best way to figure out what an inspector means when it's not clear is to................................................ .........................................ASK HIM

RoyalAcresRod 05-12-2010 07:33 AM

R-19 insulation in figerglass is typically for 2X6 construction. And since the doorway leads to an unconditioned space, you should use an exterior door, to seal that area as if it were the outside.

Is the doorway constructed with 2X6s or 2X4s? The door jamb sizes are different, obviously, for those two sizes...that may may been his lingo, referring to a pre-hung exterior door for 2X6 construction.

docmattman 05-12-2010 09:06 AM

It's 2x4 construction.

RoyalAcresRod 05-12-2010 09:12 AM

In that case I'd just buy and install a pre-hung exterior door in the style of your choice. Probably ought to be able to find one for close to $100. BTW, those composite shims make the job much easier, IMO.

It's real easy to just hit 'em with a hammer, and they snap off flush...saves having to cut or score repeatedly the wood shims...they're definitely worth the extra dollar or so.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1