Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

Span For Flooring / Ceiling

I want to use 2X8 T&G Cyprus for an exposed ceiling and a finished floor on the other side. Whats the longest span I can go without any support? I'm hoping for 6' feet.

Thanks in advance

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

Presuming that you are putting these flooring boards together tongue and groove unless I am thinking wrong you normally are going to be running and attaching these boards either perpendicular or diagonally over joists. there is no way you are going to be allowed to go 6 foot I am thinking the joists will be set at 16" o.c. or maybe 24" o.c. at the most.

I am sure an actual builder or inspector may chime in here at some point with more information......

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #3

A six foot span for flooring? Not going to happen. Are the "whatevers" that you are going to put the T&G over sitting there 6' apart? What are they, and what are they holding up now? I'm confused. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #4

No, this will get you started: page #195: http://books.google.com/books?id=idB...floors&f=false

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #5

thnaks for the replies so far. The flooring will sit on exposed 4X4's and like I said, I was hoping to get a six foot span between them. That doesnt look like its going to happen. The 2X8 cyprus is a lot stronger than any type of pine flooring. The T&G glued makes for a pretty solid floor but now Im hoping to be allowed a 2 foot span. Its all good. The exposed lumber is a great look for what I want to do.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote