Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Share |

Space between floors

My house is two stories. I just noticed that there is insulation at the ceiling of the first floor. But there is a gap between that insulation and the up stairs floor. I researched a little bit it seems that it's considered unnecessary to add insulation between floors, because it's like insulating interior walls. But the issue is that the space between first and second floor isn't really air tight, there is one part that's not sealed and opens to the attic (the second floor is in the attic). And even though I can seal this part, there is also the path for the ducts for the first floor AC and heating, which can be hard to seal. What's the common practice in this situation?

Last edited by deerhunter; 09-30-2010 at 12:22 PM.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Space between floors

Gaps ,especially vertical openings between floors should be sealed. In case of fire,these gaps will be used as a way for the fire to spread through out the house.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Space between floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
My house is two stories. I just noticed that there is insulation at the ceiling of the first floor. But there is a gap between that insulation and the up stairs floor. I researched a little bit it seems that it's considered unnecessary to add insulation between floors, because it's like insulating interior walls. But the issue is that the space between first and second floor isn't really air tight, there is one part that's not sealed and opens to the attic (the second floor is in the attic). And even though I can seal this part, there is also the path for the ducts for the first floor AC and heating, which can be hard to seal. What's the common practice in this situation?
Insulation between floors is usually installed to reduce the transmission of sound. Interior walls are sometimes insulated for this reason, also.
When I built my house, I framed the bathroom walls with off-set studs and wove batt insulation in and out to reduce bathroom noise.
It seemed to have been effective!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Space between floors

My house has R25 in the 1st floor ceiling
Keeps the 1st floor warm, & allows enough heat to the 2nd floor
Since its one zone & the 2nd floor is bedrooms its a nice way to save on heating cost
I did seal the gaps in the wet wall between basement & 1st floor, 1st floor & 2nd floor
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #5

Space between floors

I think I should at least seal that space between floor and ceiling. I plan to seal the flex duct path with sheet metal with holes cut out so that the duct can go through. Then tape the edge with foil tape. It's just that spot is pretty hart to reach.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #6

Space between floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Gaps ,especially vertical openings between floors should be sealed. In case of fire,these gaps will be used as a way for the fire to spread through out the house.
Ron

The reason older homes have gaps between floors is to allow for heat expansion in the winter months up here in the north country where we get a lot of snow. I have a very old house that creaks and snaps when our upstairs loft gets warmed up good.
Chris893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #7

Space between floors

The reason older homes have gaps between floors is to allow for heat expansion in the winter months up here in the north country where we get a lot of snow. I have a very old house that creaks and snaps when our upstairs loft gets warmed up good.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #8

Space between floors

for newer homes, because they are more up to safety standards than older homes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #9

Space between floors

Sorry for the mess on this page, I'm a new user but what I really am trying to explain is,
The reason older homes have gaps between floors is to allow for heat expansion of the wood, in the winter months because outside is cold and inside is warm. I have a very old house that creaks and snaps when our upstairs loft gets warmed up good because the wood is expanding, and you can feel the upstairs floor shift about 3 inches to the right and then a few minutes later things start cooling down because there is enough space between the floors for ventilation so the wood can stop expanding and cool down. The floor then slowly creeps back to where it started because the one side of the floor is cooling the wood down so it don't pop and crack the wood.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
JOATMON

Space between floors

I'm just about finished with a 2-story addition to my house.

When I first saw the requirement to insulate the floor between the 1st and 2nd floor...I questioned the architect....

But now I totally understand. It didn't do that much for noise....but....it made a big difference in temp. The downstairs family room stays a lot warmer....and, the upstairs bedroom does not get cooked.

My inlaws house.....the heat rises...upstairs is too hot...downstairs too cold.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #11

Space between floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris893 View Post
Sorry for the mess on this page, I'm a new user but what I really am trying to explain is,
The reason older homes have gaps between floors is to allow for heat expansion of the wood, in the winter months because outside is cold and inside is warm. I have a very old house that creaks and snaps when our upstairs loft gets warmed up good because the wood is expanding, and you can feel the upstairs floor shift about 3 inches to the right and then a few minutes later things start cooling down because there is enough space between the floors for ventilation so the wood can stop expanding and cool down. The floor then slowly creeps back to where it started because the one side of the floor is cooling the wood down so it don't pop and crack the wood.
Shifts 3 inches? WTF?

I was going to ask about the "heat rises" thing, if it would help to keep the basement temperature conditioned.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #12

Space between floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
I think I should at least seal that space between floor and ceiling. I plan to seal the flex duct path with sheet metal with holes cut out so that the duct can go through. Then tape the edge with foil tape. It's just that spot is pretty hart to reach.
Way too much work. Use firestop foam instead. Any big box store carries it.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
DIY staff

Space between floors

2010 post---Interesting none the less-------
Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #14

Space between floors

Always fun to read some of the older posts......

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...al-performance

"My house has R25 in the 1st floor ceiling
Keeps the 1st floor warm, & allows enough heat to the 2nd floor'--------------- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja

"Heat rises"----------- http://learn-science.20m.com/tmyths.htm#myth2

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 11-28-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote