Source For Oak Flooring In Monmouth, NJ - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Source for Oak Flooring in Monmouth, NJ

I want to DIY install +/- 1200 sq.ft. of unfinished 3/4 x 2-1/4 select red oak flooring in my house. I thought the local lumberyard here in Freehold would have it --- but they don't carry flooring! What's up with that???!!!

Naturally there's Lumber Liquidators, but the reviews are mixed at best. Their brand R.L. Colston 3/4" x 2 1/4" Red Oak seems to be what I'm looking for, but I don't know how to assure I won't be burned or sold really inferior stuff.

Can any of you direct me to a reliable supplier or give me some review of LL?

Thanks

I've done some amazing things with unfinished red oak, including my own 9x9 parquets, chevrons, etc. but it was 30 years ago --- hope that porta-nailer still works --- so I have experience(s). lol

Advertisement

onthebrinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

We've used LL for both hardwood and laminate, in my home and in friends'. The laminate I have been very happy with but the hardwood seems to have at least a 10% defect rate per box... and they don't take returns! It was like they stuck a few junk pieces in each box. I was pretty fried over that one and doubt I'd use them again for hardwood unless the price was good enough to take into account the couple boxes of junk left over.

Advertisement

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #3

I guess if instead of $2.22/SF it's $2.45 because of 10% waste, that's still a much better price than I've seen. Except that I'd be frustrated by throwing away that much lumber.

What exactly makes the 10% unusable? Is it milled wrong? Are there defects that make it unsightly to use? Is not 'select' a guarantee of quality?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 AM   #4

I found Woodhaven Lumber in Lakewood,NJ and they were great! I ordered 900 SF of select and better 3/4" x 2-1/4" red oak flooring for $2.92/SF. It was delivered two days after I called. They put it on a flat bed, backed the truck 100+ feet down my driveway, unloaded the pallet in front of my garage and hand carried all the bundles into the garage (they would have brought them into my house, if I wanted) --- delivery was included in the price. Since Lakewood is an enterprise zone, the sales tax was 3.5% rather than 7%. I'm halfway through the installation and have not found a single piece of unusable lumber. They've guaranteed the price per/SF for my next order if I run short.

If you compare that to Lumber Liquidator at $2.20/SF ... and you add delivery at $ 0.15/SF, a minimum 10% waste at $ 0.22/SF and sales tax at $ 0.08/SF we're talking a difference of about $ 0.27/SF. Considering the terrible reviews I read about LL, that's a premium I was happy to pay for the service I received.