Soundproofing Room Within Room Thoughts - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

soundproofing room within room thoughts

Hi,
So Im reading about sound proofing ceilings....hat channel, sound isolation clips, etc. Then I see staggering a lower set of joists to build a ceiling totally uncoupled to the structure, sounds intriguing.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...within-a-room/

floating joists....anyway, in a basement bridging is pretty important right?

So I cant see how this method would work since any bridging would interfere with the floating joists.

Otherwise it sounded cheaper than all those expensive clips.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by bergerdude; 12-30-2013 at 12:19 AM.
bergerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Bridging is most of the problem. Uncoupling the ceiling from the joists is a must however that is accomplished.

I would just buy the rubber equip clips. They work well.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

I was just thinking that if one centered the new joists just under the peak of the bridging if it would save more space than the clips.

How would I calculate whether a 2x4, 2x6 etc is needed for a certain span....to simply hold up 2 layers of 5/8 drywall,?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #4

I'm embarrassed to say that I just noticed that my home has no bridging! I have those engineered iJoist things and no bridging. Of course there are
Electrical conduit and such that would create obstacle for floating joists.

I guess bridging is not required for engineered I joists, and that what my crap builder did, basic requirements :-(
Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

First you can
Throw out your ideas of "heavy insulation" and plaster board. Insulation contributes no more than about 5% towards an effective room unless it happens to be something ridiculous like sand or lead and sheet rock offers the best bang for buck as a wall material.
michelclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 296

In general the linked website offers good information, but if you are going to hang a ceiling on resilient isolation clips (which is an excellent method of increasing sound isolation when installed properly), there isn't much benefit to using "floating joists" rather than existing joists.

I am a professional acoustical consultant. For excellent sound isolation either separate construction (i.e. double- or staggered-stud walls) or resiliency is needed. For best results use both. Practically speaking you can't have separate ceiling construction in a residential application, and it would be reallyexpensive to have separate floor construction (i.e. a true acoustical floating floor used in commercial settings, set up on neoprene isolators or springs). Because of this, flanking (sound traveling around your well-built sound-isolating construction) is always a significant limiting factor.
JKeefe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 628

How about a grid ceiling with sound batts
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #8

By grid ceiling do you mean a lay-in or suspended ceiling? A lay-in ceiling will have only a small fraction of the sound isolation characteristics that a monolithic gypsum board ceiling will have, even if that gypsum board isn't suspended from resilient elements.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #9

Even if the void above the panels are filled with sound batts?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

Yes.

Sound isolation in an acoustical testing laboratory is measured in a series of one-third octave frequency bands. These values, ranging from 125 Hz to 4000 Hz, are then typcially distilled to a single-number rating called the Sound Transmission Class (STC). Acoustical consultants like to do calculations using the frequency information, but STC is good enough for a general purpose discussion.

A good sound isolation room should be engineered for STC-55 to STC-65 performance (the former is achievable, the latter almost always exceeds the flanking limit).

A typical 2x4 stud wall with layer of 1/2" gypsum board on each side is about STC-35. Batt insulation in the stud cavity yields an improvement of 3-5 STC points. Reasonably similar values would apply to 2x8 joists with a layer of gypsum board below and a 3/4" plywood subfloor above.

A glass fiber lay-in ceiling achieves about STC-10. Batts above the lay-in give 2-3 points of improvement.

A mineral board lay-in ceiling achieves about half the STC rating of the above gypsum constructions, about STC-17. Batts again give 2-3 points of improvement when used.

Batts don't make a tremendous difference because they absorb sound, not block it. When sound strikes something, it is either reflected, absorbed, or transmitted. Good sound-isolating construction reflects sound back into the room of origination. If that room is too reflective (too "live") then absorption in the room can be added. Poor sound-isolating construction allows sound to pass through (which is what happens with a suspended ceiling system).

Putting batt insulation in the interstitial space helps a little, because each time sound bounces off the bottom of the floor above or the top of the lay-in surface, the batts absorb some of the sound. However, after the first few reflections most of the sound that matters has traveled into the next space, which is why this solution doesn't help much. Professionally, we recommend batts in ceilings when we want a small insurance policy, and/or when we are concerned with low-frequency sound transmission (the floor/ceiling doesn't perform as well at low frequencies so thick batts can help to absorb some of this sound).

The same 2x8 joists with 2 layers of 5/8" gypsum board hung on resilient isolation clips and batt insulation in the joist bays will acheive about STC-50 to -55. This is a 35 to 45 decibel improvement over a lay-in ceiling.

Many people do not understand the difference between sound absorption and sound isolation.

Last edited by JKeefe; 01-02-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

Good explanation from somebody who knows
Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

When I soundproofed my basement I used the clips with the room within a room setup with amazing results. The only thing that is hear in the room directly above that has no carpeting is the deep bass.

Advertisement

Mijotter is offline   Reply With Quote