DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   soundproofing/drywall question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/soundproofing-drywall-question-166638/)

gianni_boy 12-16-2012 05:53 PM

soundproofing/drywall question
 
Hello everyone, I have a odd question, but I am doing a basement reno and I took down the ceiling so I could install some roxul soundproof insulation between the wood joists, so the tenents upsatirs/downstairs won't hear too much noise. Now the roxul insulation is all up , haven't put up the drywall yet, so its just exposed joists and insulation, and I noticed the room is very quiet, dull and lifeless, no echo"s and speaking sounds kind of muffled......my question is, will the room get the "livelyness" and echo back one I put up the drywall?? The dullness of the room is annoying
Thanks

woodworkbykirk 12-16-2012 05:59 PM

youll be fine.. the roxul stops the sound transfer.. drywall will reduce it a bit more even more so if you use 5/8 type x. there will be sound but nowhere near as bad as it was before u started the work

gianni_boy 12-16-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk (Post 1074240)
youll be fine.. the roxul stops the sound transfer.. drywall will reduce it a bit more even more so if you use 5/8 type x. there will be sound but nowhere near as bad as it was before u started the work

Its not the transfer of sound and vibration in between floors I am concerned about, that's why I installed it hahah....what I find annoying Is that when I stand in the room that I installed the roxul in the ceiling, its kind of like there is no more echo and if I clap or speak its kind of like sounds are muffled. What I am thinking is that because there is no more flat, ridged surface on the ceiling that the insulation is absorbing all of the sound and not allowing noises to bounce around.....so once I put up drywall will natural echo and livleiness come back?, its a faily big entertianment room.

jklingel 12-17-2012 12:22 AM

i'd be surprised if it will be as dull w/ the 'rock on. surely 'rock will bounce noise back far better than roxul. try installing a sheet or two w/ just a few screws in it; pls let us know what happens, too.

hand drive 12-17-2012 08:07 AM

whenever the house is framed before it is insulated it is full of echoes. after the insulation goes in before the drywall all echoes are gone and everything is muffled, that is normal. once drywall is in it sounds more like a normal room instead of a padded room, lol.. not that I know what one of those sound like :)

if you have hardwoods then those create more echoes and furniture usually helps balance out the echoes with hardwoods or cool looking sound buffer art hanging on the walls, especially in theater rooms.

I would recommend putting homasote boards up to the ceiling before the drywall because you will still get sound transference in that ceiling through the floor joists themselves and that will release through the drywall. mostly sounds will be heard from below when someone walks upstairs,especially with hardwoods. your insulation has sound proofed the voids in the joist cavities but not dealt with the sound transference of the wood members...

Fix'n it 12-17-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianni_boy (Post 1074255)
.so once I put up drywall will natural echo and livleiness come back?

yes, it will come back. almost as it was before.

doyleslaughter 12-17-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianni_boy (Post 1074233)
Hello everyone, I have a odd question, but I am doing a basement reno and I took down the ceiling so I could install some roxul soundproof insulation between the wood joists, so the tenents upsatirs/downstairs won't hear too much noise. Now the roxul insulation is all up , haven't put up the drywall yet, so its just exposed joists and insulation, and I noticed the room is very quiet, dull and lifeless, no echo"s and speaking sounds kind of muffled......my question is, will the room get the "livelyness" and echo back one I put up the drywall?? The dullness of the room is annoying
Thanks

I am assuming you took all of the furniture out of the room to do your project? My experience has been once the furniture is reinstalled into the room this will go away. Furniture, drapes, and carpet tends to absorb the sounds.

federer 12-17-2012 07:16 PM

it will come back. thats why those fancy studios have those styrofoam style walls to muffle the sound of the band or whatever

woodworkbykirk 12-17-2012 07:30 PM

you may have joists that are overspanned also so they are deflecting when someone walks across the floor causing the echo

federer 12-17-2012 07:38 PM

man i wish i was a carpenter!

gianni_boy 12-17-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hand drive (Post 1074421)
whenever the house is framed before it is insulated it is full of echoes. after the insulation goes in before the drywall all echoes are gone and everything is muffled, that is normal. once drywall is in it sounds more like a normal room instead of a padded room, lol.. not that I know what one of those sound like :)

if you have hardwoods then those create more echoes and furniture usually helps balance out the echoes with hardwoods or cool looking sound buffer art hanging on the walls, especially in theater rooms.

I would recommend putting homasote boards up to the ceiling before the drywall because you will still get sound transference in that ceiling through the floor joists themselves and that will release through the drywall. mostly sounds will be heard from below when someone walks upstairs,especially with hardwoods. your insulation has sound proofed the voids in the joist cavities but not dealt with the sound transference of the wood members...


thats what i thought, thanks for the info, its a big relief........i thought the room would remain dead and muffled after the sheetrock. so basicaly how it works is, the drywall is a flat and rigid surface so it will reflect and allow sound to bounce around, and whatever sound does go threw it will get absorbed and prevent it from going up to the next floor? and vice versa.

And doyle, im gutting everything so no furnature yet.

Fix'n it 12-18-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianni_boy (Post 1075037)
whatever sound does go threw it will get absorbed and prevent it from going up to the next floor?

that depends on what sounds are being made. talking and TV, sure. but loud music or home theater, nope. but it will cut it down.

paintdrying 12-18-2012 10:05 PM

Sound proofing a room is a art form by itself. Different types of noise are dealt with in different ways. Everything you do will help reduce noise levels some.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved