Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |

Soundproofing a common wall in semi-detached

I purchased a semi-detached house which is currently in stud phase so I have an opportunity to improve the soundproofing on the common wall (my side only).
I have read quite a bit about soundproofing on the Internet but there is almost too much information. I am wondering what is the best choice (or choices) between the best available materials.
The current design is double wood stud wall (about 2" apart) with double batts of pink fiberglass insulation and 2 layers of 5/8" fire-rated drywall on each side.
I think my choices are to use one or more of these:
Roxul sound n safe insulation
Green glue between the 2 sheets of drywall
Furring channels for the drywall to be hung on
Quietrock drywall

Any thoughts on what would be the most effective for the dollar?

RichS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Mod

1/2" sound board comes in 4x8 sheets, double it up if you want. It's been used in apartment and hotel construction for years.

kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Quietrock is the most effective.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #4

I made a built in entertainment center with the TV on the wall that ajoins the master bedroon. Sound carrying through to the master bedroom was a concern.

I framed another wall runing parallel and right next to the existing wall and with about 1/2" space, but with the studs offset equally from one wall to the other. Then wove insulation around the offset studs. A goal was to minimize the hard surfaces directly conducting sound. It works very well and was done cheaply and with materials readily available.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #5

I was wondering if it is necessary to use quietrock as well as green glue - don't they do the same thing? Any thoughts on which is more effective for the dollar?
RichS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Soundproofing Guy

QuietRock, Supress, ComfortGuard and SoundBreak all use standard drywall (sometimes cement board) and a damping compound in between. All fine products.

You can field assemble the same thing for much less, however. The result is a heavier (better) wall and thoroughly damped. Less cost, even after considering labor costs.

Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote