Soundproofing A Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Soundproofing a ceiling

We just tore out the drywall ceiling in a part of our basement because we want the area to be more soundproof from the dogs walking on the laminate flooring in the room above. We plan to put a double layer of the sound resistant insulation between the 2x10 floor joists but have a question of the best way to replace the ceiling.

Choice 1 is to run 1x2s at right angles to the floor joists and then hang the drywall on the 1x2ís.

Choice 2 is to use a suspended ceiling with ceiling tiles designed for sound.

Which will make the room more quiet?

Advertisement

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Soundproofing a ceiling

Drywall.

It will be even quieter if you hang it from isolation clips.

I'm guessing, based on the sound you want to mitigate (high pitch structure borne), that you'll get the most bang for the buck from the isolation clips, and the least from the insulation.

Acoustic ceiling tile is not primarily intended to stop transmission of sound, but rather to tame reflected sound. So if you have a room that's really echo-y you can tame it with acoustic tile. It will absorb some sound, because it's heavy, but drywall is heavier, and it's primarily mass that absorbs sound. Particularly high frequency sound.

Advertisement

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Soundproofing a ceiling

Quietrock (look it up online). It has layer of metal in the middle of the drywall that when sound hits it, it warms up and disperses the sound through the drywall in the form of heat and dampens the sounds.

Add a layer or Roxul Soundproofing insulation and you are SET.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Soundproofing a ceiling

In my opinion this would work better.

Safe'n'Sound Roxul, ,resilient channels ,5/8 drywall.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Soundproofing a ceiling

Have you ever tried quietrock?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Soundproofing a ceiling

I would go with SteelToes sugestion. Mayb quiet rock instead of 5/8. Check out the specks. It will be lighter than 5/8
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #7

Soundproofing a ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
We just tore out the drywall ceiling in a part of our basement because we want the area to be more soundproof from the dogs walking on the laminate flooring in the room above. We plan to put a double layer of the sound resistant insulation between the 2x10 floor joists but have a question of the best way to replace the ceiling.

Choice 1 is to run 1x2s at right angles to the floor joists and then hang the drywall on the 1x2’s.

Choice 2 is to use a suspended ceiling with ceiling tiles designed for sound.

Which will make the room more quiet?
It really depends on what type of sound and how much of it you wish to block. I happen to have done quite a bit of research on soundproofing for a project I'm currently working on (for myself). The sound resistant insulation will block some high and mid-freq. sound.

My project is converting a garage to an office, for which I need the wall adjoining living space to be soundproof (a misnomer, as it's very difficult to truly 'soundproof' anything. I considered using QuietRock (in conjunction with a staggered wall), and it is alleged to be quite effective, but it's also expensive. After much investigation, I've decided that I will hang 2 layers of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue in between. I will pay less and get a higher STC. Additionaly, I'll be using an acoustic sound sealant to seal the perimeter and all possible 'leaks', and I will also be addressing the joist area, through which 'flanking' noise can leak through, reducing the STC rating on the wall. I will also be using standard R-13 insulation in the wall and will have an air cavity of about 2".

I can go on, as there is a truckload of info regarding this topic, but instead, I'll post a few links that will get you up to speed:

http://www.greengluecompany.com/five...ndproofing.php

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...soundproofing/

Both of these sites are excellent resources and have 'libraries' with very informative articles. IF you have more questions after that, John (at Soundproofing Company) is very enthusiastic about answering questions.

There are multiple aspects to soundproofing, and if you miss one that applies to your circumstances, you've spent time, money and effort pointlessly.

Again, maybe this is more info than you need or want, but better to be informed before the fact than regretful after.

Mark

Last edited by rightit; 03-07-2011 at 09:39 PM.
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #8

Soundproofing a ceiling

I'm finishing my basement now as well. I have installed 'Safe and sound' between the main floor joist (basement ceiling) in about 75% so far. My 15 year girls room is above where I have already installed S-n-S. Before I installed it, I could stand in the basement below her room and listen to her phone conversations. Now I went up and turned her stereo up past the normal limit (about 6 or a scale of 1 to 10) went back downstairs and if I listen very close, I think I can hear it a little. I'm getting ready to hang 5/8ths drywall and suspect that will serve very well. This is what I personally consider acceptable. Others will differ and your mileage may vary.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #9

Soundproofing a ceiling

wnabcptrNH - Have you ever tried quietrock?

No to be honest i have not tried quietrock yet.
Years back when i was still in trades i called once for a quote and rep quoted me something like 85+, i don't know if is really worth that much money?That is 10 times more than 5/8x12 rock, is it really ten times better?
I know that 5/8 rock works fine with resilient channels, I've used it on four projects and one of them was a home in WI where it really made a BIG difference.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Soundproofing a ceiling

I thought the top of the line QuietRock product was sounding pretty good -- until I saw the weight was over 6lbs /sf, compared to 2.4 /sf for 5x8.

QuietRock ES is 2.6 lbs/sf, so a little more weight than regular 5/8.

Note that the STC ratings they're giving are for studs 24" OC with a particular assembly method. You can get similar ratings using ordinary 5/8 and flexible channels, on 16" OC studs. If they put an outlet or a switch on the wall the rating would drop.

Roxul looks interesting, but why won't they put STC information on their website? That fact (not showing the data) makes me wonder if really makes much difference in the real world.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Soundproofing Guy

Soundproofing a ceiling

Here's an article that specifically discusses ceiling options and rates them: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...fing_ceilings/

In general, standard fiberglass, uncompressed, is a start

Decouple the new ceiling drywall from the joists with clips and channels. Resilient channel is very problematic and there is no standard for its manufacturing.

Then you want as much weight on the ceiling as possible. This is a huge factor. This is why standard 5/8" drywall is so great. It's very heavy, very inexpensive and two sheets will allow you to use a field applied damping compound. The problem with the pre-damped drywall previously mentioned is that unless you use two sheets of the product, the ceiling will be too light, regardless of how much you paid for the exotic drywall.

If footfall noise is a big problem, then you'll want to at least consider installing drywall and damping compound to the underside of the subfloor.

The article discusses all of these points in detail with lab testing references.

Advertisement

Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote