Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |

Sound proof walls!!!

Hey all... I am looking for a pretty good way to make some sound proof walls for accoustics... Right now the outer wall is 3/4 plywood... I have 2x4 with 16' on center studs... Is there a good solution for this??? I have some ideas... But I am looking for some others and maybe cheaper... Let me know!!!

Fux39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #2

Sound proof walls!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fux39 View Post
Hey all... I am looking for a pretty good way to make some sound proof walls for accoustics... Right now the outer wall is 3/4 plywood... I have 2x4 with 16' on center studs... Is there a good solution for this??? I have some ideas... But I am looking for some others and maybe cheaper... Let me know!!!
There's a product out called quiet rock, goes on like drywall but they claim it's equivalent to 8 sheets of ordinary drywall!! Its expensive about $50/sheet. Look up quiet rock in google.

rookie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Sound proof walls!!!

Two good ways to do it for interior walls are acoustic clips and staggered studs.

1. The clips are used to separate the drywall from the studs.

2. The staggered studs - 2x4s used for a 6" or 8" thick wall totally separate the two sides of the wall.

Other more elaborate methods are sheet lead or solid concrete block placed between the studs. Both provide mass and dampen vibration.

These methods assume you take care at all openings and stagger electrical outlets into different wall cavities.

If you have an exterior wall, just use mass (masonry walls and not just veneer) and good windows.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #4

Sound proof walls!!!

Stagger studs and use thermafiber insulation. Also I have seen heavy rubber mat (modern replacement for sheet lead) that is installed over studs before sheet rock. It works well and is much lighter. Google search should help.
Notime is offline   Reply With Quote