Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Share |

sonotube for slab or floating?

Hello everybody

I was having a discussion with my boss and now I'm not too sure what to think, so thought I would try to find some other opinions, as I could not find a definitive answer via google.

A few years ago whenever we would pour concrete for the purpose of laying flagstone we would always use our bobcat auger bit and drill down 4 feet for sonotube footings. As of recently my boss has stopped doing this saying something along the lines of if the footings shift it could cause the flagstone to shift. He maintains that a floating slab is better because it allows the concrete to shift uniformly?

I am going to be laying flagstone for a buddy's parents and I have to create a concrete slab for it, what is the "correct" method for creating my concrete slab?

I am in Canada, near Toronto, so frost is an issue.

Thanks

Eric

EricS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

If the tube and the slab are connected, the slab will try to lift when the ground freezes and the tubes will not. I do not see what the tube will do for you besides crack the concrete

danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Haverhill Trade 1965

I agree with dan. Prep work is important. Make sure you are on a uniform, (depth and same), compacted material. Pour good strong concrete, (4" slump), make it thicker at the edges, if you have the option pour it in no more than 10' x 10' squares. keep it from drying too quickly, (misting and covering with plastic), maybe seal it with concrete sealer. Did I miss anything?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, flagstone, footings, slab, sonotube