Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Something faster than tapcons?

I'm framing my basement, and the longest part is putting in the bottom plate. It's a good 15 minutes to half hour per hole, it's just so time consuming. Some seem to go faster than others but in general it's very slow. Hard on the hands and ears. Is there something faster? What is that device where it shoots a nail right through, think it uses a .22, is that something really expensive? Could it be used for framing? What about some kind of adhesive like no more nails? Though I will feel more comfortable with something mechanical. There's always the chance that an adhesive eventually lets go.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
call me E

search for powder actuated tool at HD or Lowes website. They'll put down plate in a hurry- anchor to concete or steel. I never did like tapcons.....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Is Ramset what I'm looking for? Wont let me see details but they show quite a few different sizes and stuff so looks like HD does have em. Checking out the Ramset site now. I like the fact that this is basically a firearm lol. I'll check HD tomorrow to see what the tools cost and get some fasteners. Suppose this will come in handy when I do my garage too so may as well buy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
call me E

The single shot will get you by probably. The trades use the high end models.
Hilti and Ramset are good brands
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel
I'm framing my basement, and the longest part is putting in the bottom plate. It's a good 15 minutes to half hour per hole, it's just so time consuming.
This may be a dumb question but you used a hammer drill with a concrete bit right? Btw I hate tamcons too.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #6

15 to 30 minutes per hole!?

Hammer drill with masonry bit to pre-drill and a separate driver to screw in the tapcon. Should take 2-3 minutes max.

Get a new bit when the tip burns out.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Force View Post
This may be a dumb question but you used a hammer drill with a concrete bit right? Btw I hate tamcons too.
Yep hammer drill and the bit that came with the tapcons. I only did like 5 holes with it so far. I had a few holes that took only a few minutes but most take very long. It barely goes down at all then will start going down a little faster, then stop again etc... Guessing it's because of the rocks in the concrete. There's no rebar that I'm aware of. Hopefully I'm not hitting a cast iron sewage pipe or I will end up with a smell I can't track, but I imagine those would be under the concrete, not within it.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #8

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...lz4/R-I2154092
Here is one from home hardware. You put the nail in the end, load a shell into it and hit the top with a hammer.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...lz4/R-I2154092
Here is one from home hardware. You put the nail in the end, load a shell into it and hit the top with a hammer.
Perfect that should do for what I'm using it for. I'll go pick one up tomorrow along with the rounds/nails that go with it. I wish hardware stores were 24/7!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel
It barely goes down at all then will start going down a little faster, then stop again etc... Guessing it's because of the rocks in the concrete.
Just curious, what size tapcons are you using?
Even a large bit(1/2") with a large hammer drill should just crush those rocks. 1 min max with each hole.

I just built my shed using 3/8" anchors 2 1/2"-3" deep. 14 holes in no time. I love those anchors and won't use tapcons again unless I have to. New concrete though.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Wire Chewer

Using 1/4".

Closup pic of a hole I started, that's a solid 2 minutes of holding it down with light pressure. After doing 2 already, I realized there has to be a better way.

To think I have some large anchors to put in later to bolt down a server rack and battery rack. Think I will get a good SDS bit and use my bigger hammer drill for those though.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I had a few holes that took only a few minutes but most take very long. It barely goes down at all then will start going down a little faster, then stop again etc... Guessing it's because of the rocks in the concrete.
I've run into this problem before as well. I'm not sure what causes it. In my case I was in concrete that I would have expected to not have rocks, but who knows? Which I had an answer. I wonder if powder actuated nailer would run into problems in those areas as well.... let us know.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #13

Another vote for the Ramset. I don't like tapcons either.

Used to be that Hilti was the only game in town. And somewhere I lived over 30 years ago (Washington State maybe), you had to have some sort of license to use one. Maybe it was an OSHA thing. Needless to say, Hilti guns were not usually sold to the general public.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
A "Handy Husband"

Is that really a hammer drill? It looks like my regular Dewalt corded drill.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Is that really a hammer drill? It looks like my regular Dewalt corded drill.
that is the exact one I have for light duty, it has a flip switch that goes from normal drill to hammer drill.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote