Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #1

Share |

Some thoughts

I have a very very frustrating day. I was on the phone with contractors, emailing others and in line for a permit. Yeah you can see where I'm going.
I have a 3 level house, by my notes here I have a 2220ft^2 per level. I went to get a permit so I could start putting up the framing for my bathroom / basement remodel. I'm a college kid so I don't have a ton of money. Just what renters, loans and internship brings in.

My house was purchased at a steal of 90k. It's current value is no more then 120k. The basement is unfinished. So I though my permit was maybe 150 bucks. I got that number from online. I go in, fill out paper work. They tell me, Oh wow that's big (... I don't think so, but okay). Okay so we value your house at 30.50 a ft^2, so your basement is worth 60,000 dollars, that will be 1700 dollars for your permit. (1200 tax, 500 for the permit itself) Oh I see your in a town home, we can't process this till you get a contractor to do your plumbing electrical
me.. okay... do you have roommates? I do. Okay you need a contractor for all the work, including the framing.

So by their logic my house if it was all unfinished would be worth 180,000 dollars. Which they rate finished much much higher, so maybe they assume, my townhouse (with 3 adjoined neighbors, next to an apartment complex) is probably up in the 220k++, at the least twice its paid for value, probably closer to 3x.

I'm going to fight this, I was wondering if any of you have experience. I say the basement is worth 25k.

Next though, I could just illegally do the work. Still hire contractors for the plumbing and electrical for insurance purposes, and do the rest myself. The previous owner did this and I wasn't affected. The plumber I'm hiring said that's what he did. My dad did it with 2 homes.... but I'm planning on selling it when I'm done with college in 2 years. I hear you can't advertise it as finished. At the same time, I don't think a realator cares and I don't think there are any checks on this. I'd love to be legal, but seriously 2k is a fraction of my budget. If I can get it down to 1k, I still don't know the laws, and I'm betting I have to pay for inspectors in addition.
L4nce0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Stairguy

Some thoughts

when i work on my own house i never pull permits. Im not saying it is right or legal, but what they dont know wont hurt them.Unless you are doing major reno work, I wouldnt bother.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Stairguy

Some thoughts

just an added thought. Seeing you already talked to the town about a permit, they might be suspicious now
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4nce0 View Post
Next though, I could just illegally do the work. Still hire contractors for the plumbing and electrical for insurance purposes, and do the rest myself. The previous owner did this and I wasn't affected. The plumber I'm hiring said that's what he did. My dad did it with 2 homes.... but I'm planning on selling it when I'm done with college in 2 years. I hear you can't advertise it as finished. At the same time, I don't think a realator cares and I don't think there are any checks on this. I'd love to be legal, but seriously 2k is a fraction of my budget. If I can get it down to 1k, I still don't know the laws, and I'm betting I have to pay for inspectors in addition.

I'd be cautious of hiring any trademen that don't have any resevation about performing work un-permitted, or illegally. It say alot about the individual IMPO.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (08-20-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #5

Some thoughts

My permit for my addition was $550, excluding the foundation, includes inspections
24x36 garage, same size great room, walk up attic
So 864 sq ft of added living space

If you improve your property the value goes up
As the value goes up your taxes go up
They charge you taxes before you start work ??
Here taxes are only charged after final inspection

If the 1st floor finished & the 2nd floor finished are worth $120k
Then why would you not think 3 floors finished is not worth $180k ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote