Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
vln
Underwriter

Rewards Points: 75

Some questions for building media outbuilding

I currently live in Clark County, Henderson, NV.

I am planning to build a mini movie building, the maximum size 168 sqft, so I do not need a permit, but I have some questions.

Is there are maximum height?

Is a flat roof against code?

What would happen if I built two right next to each other (hint hint), is there a minimum distance? Or is 168 sqft for ALL outbuildings, not just per individual?

How much trouble would I get into if I sell the house and I did something that was against code?

Thanks a ton.

vln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You'll need to check your local building dept for most of those questions

Your last question is simple though. One call from a neighbor and you may be forced to tear the whole thing down. No permits = huge gamble.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Should be asking your local building dept. these questions.
Your trying to ask questions that could be ansewered by people from all over the world and would have no clue what your county codes are.

With a flat roof it's not a matter of will it leak, it's when is it going to leak.
Not sure how that small a building is ever going to work out for what your planing on using it for, just to small.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
vln
Underwriter

Rewards Points: 75

Well I thought you guys could have some better knowledge of general building codes, I can never get someone to answer the phone at the building and construction office, and it is way out of my way to go drive down and only have somebody to tell me to come back the next day because they have to look up what I'm asking.
vln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Hang in there!
Over 100,000 members here some more will come along and possibly help you.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vln View Post
Well I thought you guys could have some better knowledge of general building codes, I can never get someone to answer the phone at the building and construction office, and it is way out of my way to go drive down and only have somebody to tell me to come back the next day because they have to look up what I'm asking.

Unfortunately (althought you thinks it is), this is actually NOT about "General Building Code".

Your questions is about "Local Building Code", Set-backs, Zoning Laws, etc.

These vary by State, City and Town.

Unless someone on here lives in your town, and knows the exact code requirements (for your question) - you are searching in the wrong location (here), and asking the wrong people.

You will need to try harder (with your local Building Dept), or submit something in writing, or attempt other means to get your answer. Possibly find the name of the local Building Commissioner and his office number, and what time is best to speak briefly with him about your concerns.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
DexterII (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

With a flat roof it's not a matter of will it leak, it's when is it going to leak.
.....and pitched roofs, and "A" frames, and tiles, and stone, and and and..... ALL (unmaintained) roofs will leak eventually given enough time. Get back to me in 1,000 years and see if I'm right.

DM
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Unfortunately (althought you thinks it is), this is actually NOT about "General Building Code".

Your questions is about "Local Building Code", Set-backs, Zoning Laws,
These vary by State, City and Town.
And they generally vary by zoning districts within a common city, town, village, or township.

For what you want answers to, you could talk with your your zoning administrator, or possibly one of your planning commissioners, or you should be able to simply walk into your local administration office, not for the building department, but for your local government, and ask to review the zoning ordinances for your zoning district. Jot down the plat number from your property tax statement, as, depending on how their records are maintained, it could make it easier to identify your district.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote