Some Odd Things I Noticed In My "new" House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

some odd things I noticed in my "new" house

Instead of an I beam they used a RR rail, flat side up to suport the floor. Looks like a good idea. I'd bet its way stonger than any I beam that height.

There is also a small shed with a stained glass door and a full basement, with no aparent way to get down there.

Advertisement

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

some odd things I noticed in my "new" house

Did they weld any flanges on the ball side (wheel surface side) of the rail? If they did, carefully check the welds for cracking (not in the weld, but in the rail, itself, around the welds) The strength of the rail is not in question, but the brittleness at any welds will be a concern due to the much higher carbon rating of the rail as compared to an "I" beam.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote