Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Some general advice?

I just bought a new home. The builder left the upstairs unfinished (with the option to hire him to finish it for a cost). The upstairs has all the framing work for the rooms and stubbed plumbing for the bathroom. So basically, it needs electricity, lights, drywall, etc, but the major work is already done. I have a few general questions about this situation:

1. Do I need any permits or anything like that to work on and finish the upstairs myself?

2. Will I need to have an inspector come look at work I do (wiring for electrical/lights, etc)?

3. I'll need a second AC and furnace unit to power the upstairs floor. I assume I run all the duct work and put in the vents in before drywall goes up. Is this true (do the vent secure to studs)?

4. I'll have to insulate the walls/ceilings. Do I need to put a plywood backing to hold the insulation to the drywall, or can I just secure it to the studs with staples/nails?

5. I'm planning on tiling the bathroom floor. All the fixtures (toilet, tub, sink, etc) should go in first and I should tile around them right?

6. I can put in one GFI outlet in the bathroom and run all electrical from there right? Or do I need multiple GFI's?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

docmattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Some general advice?

Yes you will need permits & Inspections in a specific order
Contact your local building Dept
1-3 Yes
4 Insulation staples to the studs - also another inspection here
5 I put Vanity & tub in, then tiled up to them, Toilet I put in after
6 Yes one GFCI on the bathroom can protect other outlets & lights (in the bathroom)

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Some general advice?

2 - Not where I live, but you need to ask your local building inspector's office.

6 - Sounds like you're asking if you can power the whole upstairs through a single GFCI. Definitely not. You need the lights to be on a different circuit from the outlets. I'm thinking the electric code wants you to have a separate circiut for the bathroom outlets, but I'm sure someone will chime in. You especially don't want to put your lighting downstream of the GFCI on the "protected" leg -- if you did then you'd be in the dark any time the thing tripped. Depending on the size of the upstairs, and it sounds kind of big if you need a second furnace, you'll need at least several circuits.

I like to wire adjacent spaces on separate lighting circuits, so that if one room trips the one next door stays on. Even better to have two circuits in each room. But I kind of go crazy with lighting. My livingroom has 10 switches for lights (and it's not really confusing and I'll probably add more in the cabinets.)
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Some general advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
6 - Sounds like you're asking if you can power the whole upstairs through a single GFCI. Definitely not. You need the lights to be on a different circuit from the outlets. I'm thinking the electric code wants you to have a separate circiut for the bathroom outlets, but I'm sure someone will chime in. You especially don't want to put your lighting downstream of the GFCI on the "protected" leg -- if you did then you'd be in the dark any time the thing tripped. Depending on the size of the upstairs, and it sounds kind of big if you need a second furnace, you'll need at least several circuits.
There are three rooms upstairs. The 2 non-bathrooms, I've already wired. 1 room has 3 circuits and the other has 2. The GFI I was referring to would only apply to the bathroom (which will have it's own circuit or two).

I was really hoping that I wouldn't need permits/inspections, since all the structure work and plumbing was already done by the builder. They put in the floor and framed all the walls and put plumbing in. I was just going to put in lights, a couple closets, duct work, bathroom fixtures and then just drywall everything. I wasn't needing to build structures or any of that, so I was hoping to avoid the need for permits. I guess I'll have to look into that...
docmattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Some general advice?

I'd put all the outlets in the bathroom on one circuit, fed through (protected by) the GFCI. I'd put in a second circuit for the overhead lights, especially if the other two rooms are only one one circuit. Put in a fan too, but I don't know which circuit to put that on.

I know some guys in a part of Texas where they don't have permits or inspections at all. Seems like most places have them though. Where I live they mainly want to issue permits as a way to raise money and they don't get too concerned about actually inspecting.

Just call them up and ask -- since your studs are still exposed getting inspections is easy. If you ever go to sell the house (or even get a home equity loan) they might make you sign a statement that all necessary permits and inspections were done.

Last edited by pyper; 12-07-2009 at 02:03 PM.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote