Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #1

Share |

Some advice needed in building a carport.

I have recently purchased my first home. Up until now I've been a renter. Garage space has always been important to me as I tinker with cars a lot. Even when renting garage space has been important. Now that I've bought I decided to let lot size and location trump garage space as I know I can build more down the road.

In this move I have gone from a 2.5 car garage to a 1.5 car garage and I'm feeling cramped already. I don't have the finances to build a whole garage right now so I'd like to build a simple car port off the side of the current garage for now.

I have a plan in my head but have a few questions that I was hoping could be answered here. First lets start with header attachment onto the cinder block garage.

1) Should I use pressure treated lumber?
2) Should I use threaded rod all the way through the cinder block (I read this somewhere) or should I use some type of masonry anchor?
3) When choosing the header height I have a few things to consider. Should I attached the joists with hangers or toe nail them on top of the header? Also there is a small 1/2x8 facia trim. Should I set the header below that or should I remove it.

4) This somewhat relates to #3....should I attempt to integrate the new roof with the original roof of the garage?

Hopefully these aren't too many questions to start and there are a few out there with experience in this area.

Thanks in advance and below are a few pictures of the side of the garage I'd like to put the carport.

I only plan to have it go up to the fence right now, and yes I realize I'll be driving through the yard. Initially I just want a car I don't use often to at least be out of the weather for the winter.

dubbinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

My feeling... The garage is working, so leave it alone. Build the car port independently, which IMO does not add much in cost; pretty much just a few posts. Tying roofs together can be disastrous if you have any differential settling issues. You can also just buy a garage-in-a-box plastic building, UV protect it, and replace it every 10 yrs, if you still live there.

jklingel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
My feeling... The garage is working, so leave it alone. Build the car port independently, which IMO does not add much in cost; pretty much just a few posts. Tying roofs together can be disastrous if you have any differential settling issues. You can also just buy a garage-in-a-box plastic building, UV protect it, and replace it every 10 yrs, if you still live there.
Building the carport independently then creates two roof lines funneling water into the foundation of the garage. As far as those garage in the box solutions....they are 4 times the cost and look like crap in my opinion.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Maybe something like this?

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Some advice needed in building a carport.-garage.jpg  
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbinchris View Post
Building the carport independently then creates two roof lines...
Only if you build an A-frame roof AND have the roof facing that way (which is the most typical). A sloping roof, high on the garage end, lower on the other is what I was thinking. At 4x the cost, you'd be buying one of the high-end fabrics that WILL last for many years. But, if they look like crap to you, build away; it's your cash.
jklingel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #6

I am in a very similar situation. I have a 1.5 car garage, and even though its not big enough to put a lift in, I simply don't have the funds to expand the garage to a sufficient size for a lift. I will just be adding a simple car-port on to the side of the garage.

In my case its 2x4 roughcut, `24''on center construction. I will simply carriage bolt a board onto the outside side of my garage, but underneath the eave enough for water to basicly continue down the new roof.
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Maybe something like this?

Andy.
Wow...I really like that! Where did you get that image? Do you have actual plans for that carport? It might possibly be out of my price range and scope at the moment, but I'm pretty mechanically minded so I don't think it would take me much to learn. Tying into the existing roof like that is really the hardest part for me at this point.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Residential Designer

HI Chris, thank you for the complement.

I am a designer and I just whipped this little garage model from your pictures.

I make plans per the job.

Andy.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #9

Hi Andy, That 3-D image is simple and fantastic, I would advise this solution as well. Just a minor point, the two critical elements are the size and type of beams needed along the gutter lines on the carport, the rest of the structure can be prefab trusses.
Cheers, from Joe in Oz.
JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

Looks nice Andy. I hate to sound the snob, but maybe too nice for the structure

You might just as well replace the whole wooden upper section over the garage with a corrugated steel roof that covers the carport and the garage. that would give you a better look than just adding onto the old, be less prone to leaks, and last much longer over-all.

If the original structure looked a bit better, I'd go with a design like Andy's
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
HI Chris, thank you for the complement.

I am a designer and I just whipped this little garage model from your pictures.

I make plans per the job.

Andy.
You're welcome! Now I wonder how hard to make that a reality? I'd love some more details or ideas.....or is that what you get paid for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
Looks nice Andy. I hate to sound the snob, but maybe too nice for the structure

Hey now.....
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Residential Designer

The sad thing about being a designer and not a licensed architect like Joe is many people think that I can not do structural design.

Here in California and in most other places a designer can do the structural design and as long as the design is within the local or state 'prescriptive' (or light frame construction) mandates.

I have done one two story full construction design for a friend, details, structural members, hold-downs, wind resistance/seismic calcs etc.
but that was in a seismic C zone. I had to justify all my calcs. and design to the Building Department and one set of corrections for the structural design but everything passed and the house is built.

Almost every city in So. Cal. where I live is in seismic zone D sub 0, 1, or 2, so I am only able to design a single story structure. If enough non prescriptive elements are used or called for then the cities may not allow any prescriptive construction and the whole thing may require an engineer to design.

And yes, it is what I get paid for.

Andy.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Too Old

I agree with the idea but without knowing the structure of the building? To add a california roof to that garage is a good idea but a lot of background will be needed. It is a nice starting point.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #14

"I agree with the idea but without knowing the structure of the building? To add a california roof to that garage is a good idea but a lot of background will be needed. It is a nice starting point. "

Like I said before, the two gutter beams are the only concern, the prefab trusses are designed by the truss manufacturer, so they're ok with compliance. The beams can be looked up in a simple timber framing manual that complies with your local code. Check with your local building inspector if this approach will do. If not, and he wants computations, you will need to see a structural engineer. Even architects can't dictate structural design.

PS: if you can afford it, the suggestion to replace the garage roof at the same time with corrugated iron is a good one, it will enhance the value of the place and make the new carport look like it was always there.

When we went to Uni, we called them (structural engineers) gingerbeers, and they called us artichokes. All in good fun!

Cheers, Joe from way, way, down under in Oz (Melbourne).
JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #15

As a new homeowner, be aware you may need a permit/variance for a carport being that close to the public easement/alleyway. Nice, Andy!

Check locally with your AHJ.

Gary

AndyGump (12-02-2011)