Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Share |

Solid mesh screen like on security doors for gate doors?

See attached photo (at end of post) for reference.

I have a gate door at entrance before patio at front of home. The gate door has a deadbolt lock and a stake hinge lever that stakes to the ground to immobilize the right side of the double gate door, and pull up the stake hinge to free that door allowing it to open, making it a double swing door (left + right swing open).

But the way the door was installed (how it swings inward rather than outward and how the door's design is one way swing direction operation), the guard plate that prevents messing with the lock is on the wrong side (facing patio rather than outside) thus making the deadbolt lock pretty much useless and you can simply swing open both doors when the hinge is pulled up regardless if the deadbolt lock is in locked position or not.

We didn't install this door, it came with the house when we got it. It doesn't look easy to dismantle and reinstall the door the correct way, nor do I think we might want the doors to swing the other direction. And not necessarily thinking of buying a new correct set of gate doors to replace with.

A quick security hack would be to lock up the doors with a chain and key/combo lock around the chain or install some kind of additional bolt/hinge that allows for a lock to fit through it.

But I was considering having something like the metal mesh screens of security doors (that typically go outside of a front door). My gate doors are kind of like those, only without the solid mesh screen. The stake hinge is at the inside of the home facing the patio. So if a solid mesh screen goes before that stake hinge, there's no access from outside to that hinge, then making the deadbolt lock actually work, because if you can't pull the hinge the right door is actually immobile & you'd have to unlock the deadbolt to open the left door.

So I was wondering where I might find a hard/solid metal mesh screen (to screw in or weld onto the back of the gate doors), should I consider that option.

Something kind of like these:

Attached Thumbnails
Solid mesh screen like on security doors for gate doors?-img_20130404_093628.jpg  

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Why are you wanting to lock the gate? Why not just leave it unlocked all the time and lock your front door?

dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

That's what we are doing now. But let's just say we want to be more secure (paranoid), don't want people to enter the patio (say you have solicitors, sales people who are savvy at opening the door), and/or we want the luxury of not having to always lock the front door.
daluu is offline   Reply With Quote