Solid Core Pre Hung Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Solid core pre hung door

I Have installed about 10 hollow core doors. But tomorrow is my first solid core door. Since those doors are much heavier is there anything u need to do different. When I shim what size nails do I use to nail the hinge side?

Any other advise??

Advertisement

nsanto17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

Solid core pre hung door

when i hang doors i change the approach a little bit for solid core as to what i do with hollow core.

hollow cores i set the jamb using 2 1/2" 16 gauge nails, i dont hand nail. shim behind the hinges and at the header both sides plus any additional spots as needed to straighten the jamb. on the latch side i shim at the top, bottom and behind the striker plate. hollow core doors are light so i just use the screws that come with the hinges

for a solid core door i switch to 3 1/2" hinges and use the same nails as for a hollow core, i add a few extra nails though but nail where the door stop will go so to hide the holes and keep the paintes happy. once the door is hung and the reveal is the same all the way around i will remove one or two screws from each hinge then replace them with 2" or 2 1/2" screws which will bit into the framing, this will ensure the jamb doesnt pull away from the framing

another thing you can do is to glue the door casings to the jamb and drywall, this will stiffen up the assembly even more to reduce the chance of the jamb going out of square

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote