Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |

Sole plate question

I’m getting ready to call in for a framing inspection and I want to make sure I have my bases covered. I have one wall 22’ long with two 11’ sole plates and a perpendicular wall that is 11’ with one sole plate. Walls non-load bearing - 2x6 lumber. The walls were built on a concrete floor. I secured the sole plates with 3” blue Tapcon concrete screws. I placed the screws 4” from the end of each 11’ plate for a total of 6 screws. The top plates are nailed into the floor joists above. Do I need any additional screws on the sole plates? I can’t find anything in the building codes that reference the fastener schedule for this application (interior non-load bearing on concrete.) Thanks

Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

Sole plate question

I secure the plate every 32" in between every other joist. not sure what the code is for that but never hard an inspector look to close at that.
Do you have fireblocking at top of wall. If there is a gap between studded wall and foundation it needs to be filled in.
Also in my area they now require a framing inspection be done after electrical and plumbing is roughed in. They want to make sure anyplace electrical and plumbing goes through top plate is sealed. fireblocking again

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Sole plate question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
I secure the plate every 32" in between every other joist. not sure what the code is for that but never hard an inspector look to close at that.
Do you have fireblocking at top of wall. If there is a gap between studded wall and foundation it needs to be filled in.
Also in my area they now require a framing inspection be done after electrical and plumbing is roughed in. They want to make sure anyplace electrical and plumbing goes through top plate is sealed. fireblocking again
Thanks for the info Justink. I'll go ahead and shoot some additional nails in with a Ramset just to make sure. Thanks for the heads up on the fireblocking. I've build the wall in front of a 4' foundation wall. The exterior wall sits on top of the foundation wall. I have a 4" gap between the new wall and exterior wall. It's my understanding I need to fire block every 10' horizontally meaning I would sister in a vertical 2x4 or 2x6 to close the gap between the old wall and new wall. Does that sound right? Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Sole plate question

I normally use double 7/16 osb. but if you can get a 2x6 to work you can use that too.
It is not just every 10' horizontally it is the whole top between your new wall and exterior wall. Before I frame the wall I put a double layer of osb under floor joists to sill plate.(in your case it would be top plate) Then mount top plate on osb. its too late for that now. So now you have to exactly cut the plywood to fit up there. Any gaps need to be filled with fire caulk or fire spray foam. All Plumbing hvac, and electrical coming through this area needs to be sealed. Can be a pain sometimes.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #5

Sole plate question

I have sheetrock between the top plate and floor joists. Would that suffice as the fire block?