Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #1

Share |

soft-lite replacement windows

I've been looking into replacing the windows in my home. I've had two companies out, one whom I'd rather not use just because I did not like the company practices as much (the salesman pressured me into signing a contract on the first visit, and I had never heard of the company before, I got their number from a flyer left on my door), and another who I'm more inclined to use based on a neighbor's recommendation. The former uses Alside windows, and the former uses Soft Lite Imperial. The guy selling me Soft-Lite tells me he does not care for Alside. So my first question is what kind of rep do either of these brands have? And also, is around 500 bucks a windows installed too much for a standard size double hung Soft Lite Imperial with lifetime warranty? I'm in the midwest, if that helps. St Louis.

cambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambie View Post
I've been looking into replacing the windows in my home. I've had two companies out, one whom I'd rather not use just because I did not like the company practices as much (the salesman pressured me into signing a contract on the first visit, and I had never heard of the company before, I got their number from a flyer left on my door), and another who I'm more inclined to use based on a neighbor's recommendation. The former uses Alside windows, and the former uses Soft Lite Imperial. The guy selling me Soft-Lite tells me he does not care for Alside. So my first question is what kind of rep do either of these brands have? And also, is around 500 bucks a windows installed too much for a standard size double hung Soft Lite Imperial with lifetime warranty? I'm in the midwest, if that helps. St Louis.
Based on the fact that the first salesman used high-pressure tactics to get you to sign a contract, I wouldn't trust anything he's selling. I haven't heard of either one of those brands. I've purchased Pella brand replacement windows for around $225 and put them in myself. It's not hard, and a skilled craftsman can do it in less time: about 30-45 mins. So to answer your question, "Yes, $500 sounds like way too much money." I'm in the northeast, and I'd guess our rates might be about the same. You might be able to get a better deal if you go to Lowe's or Home Depot, buy the windows there, and pay for their installers. Or you can buy the windows, bring them home, and pay someone to come and put them in. If you don't mind learning, you can even do this yourself in a weekend.

You mentioned that you were pressured into signing a contract. Are you sure that you can get out?

gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #3

I wasn't very clear. He wanted me to sign a contract. His exact words were "What can I do to get you to sign a contract with us today?" He was my first visit, and I didn't really know much about what to expect at that point, so my only reply was "A great price would help". He left though without me signing anything, and wanted to come back later to actually sign and collect a down payment from me. I called him on the phone about an hour later and said sorry, there's no way I'm signing a contract today. I want to think about this before I commit with anyone.

The other company is well known and much more respected in my area. I think that I can get them down slightly lower than 500 per window, but I'm not sure how much. The main advantage I see to doing it this way is the warranty on the work and the fact that these guys can come and get this done in a day, where as I'm sure it would take me at least a couple weekends to do the entire house, and that's assuming I can talk a friend into helping. And though I'm not clueless with tools, I want my window put in correctly, so I'd really prefer someone who truly knows what they are doing. If this was my garage or something, I might take a stab at it. But l'm less inclined since it's my main house.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Mechanical Engineer

Glad to hear that you didn't sign anything. I still think $500 is a little high. True, you're paying for speed. Your time is valuable too so having the windows installed in one day is very advantageous. If you can negotiate the price down, I think you'll be wise to do so. I can't offer much about the two brands you mentioned, but I have seen a couple of other less well-known brands. Dove windows, typically sold to contractors and retail stores, and Reynolds, packaged under the Norandex (R) brand, which is made by Owens-Corning. I bought the Reynolds windows. As an inexpensive replacement window, it's good. If you're looking for something high-quality, you want Pella, or similar. I've installed Pella for my significant other and they are a gem of a window. Really nice operation, and if you brake a window and ever need a replacement sash, each window comes with a serial number that they can track back to the factory and make you an identical replacement. It all depends on what you want the window to do for you and what level of quality you want.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 AM   #5

So I'm still looking into doing this. The guy selling Soft Lite won't budge beyond 6900 for 2 doors installed and 9 double hung replacement windows, standard, no bars, and one window with privacy glass. This seems pretty high to me. This is for the Imperial LS line, which has some fancy warranty. But 445 bucks a window seems steep to me. I figure there's no way they are paying more than 200 bucks a window themselves, and they are just taking me for every dollar they can get above that.

I've got a co worker recommending Quaker windows. I have a local place that can get me these windows at 200 bucks a window. I just need to find someone to put them in, or get brave and attempt it myself.

Any opinions on the 445/window price? Better than 500, but crazy still, no?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambie View Post
Any opinions on the 445/window price? Better than 500, but crazy still, no?
I don't know anything about either one of those brands. But, yes, $445, per window is very steep.

In my opinion (assuming you want it since you posted the question - ) is that you can do this yourself for about $200 each (since you posted on a DIY forum.) Replacement windows aren't that hard. I'm no expert, but I did my own, and the ones on my girlfriend's house. She put in Pella windows, and they were fantastic. I put in a cheaper brand -Reynolds, made by Norandex - a division of Owens Corning. They were good too, but not as high quality as the Pella brand. But they were both just as easy to install.

What kind of windows do you have in now? Can you take a pic and post it? Where are you located?