Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Wounded Mathematician

Share |

Soffits - dealing with my design blunder

Hi

I have posted here a couple of times. I'm the guy who moved a 100 year old house to an island via barge. I need advice regarding rebuilding my soffits. Here's the deal:

We moved a 100 year old craftsman styled house to an island. The original hip roof needed to be replaced so we removed it before the move. This also made the move much easier.

After the move, we rebuilt a metal roof in a similar style to the original. I ordered pre-fab trusses, had them installed and then installed metal roofing. Herein lies my blunder when ordering the trusses:

The eaves of the new roof sit about 8" lower than eaves of the original roof. I totally missed this design detail since I was juggling a gajillion things during the house move. The original roof had soffits that came straight in horizontally from the eaves as shown below:

Because the edge of the new roof sits lower than the old roof, if I were to rebuild the soffits just like the original ones, they would meet the exterior walls LOWER than the trim around my windows and lower than the header across my porch. To do this would mean I would have to remove the trim around the top of all my windows and rebuild a header across my porch. This would totally change the look of this house and would be completely unacceptable to me.

Here are some photos looking up at overhang of the new roof:

I suppose I have a few options for building the soffits:

Option 1: the soffit is angled upwards and follows the rafters in from the eaves until it meets the horizontal at the top plate, then the soffit is horizontal in to the wall.

Option 2: the same as option 1 but soffit follows rafters all the way in to meet the vertical of the exterior wall.

Option 3: soffit is horizontal all the way from eave to wall. I don't like this option.

Below is a diagram to illustrate what I mean:

Help please...

Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

What was the existing soffit composed of bead board I presume. I would think your only option besides cutting back the overhang, would be to install the soffit to some tapered 2x strips cut from 1/8" - ? what ever you need for the new soffit to lay on top of the crown, with the existing small soffit piece removed ( blue). the tail of the hip would have to be planed down to keep the same existing plain. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Wounded Mathematician

Thanks Bob,

Is this what you mean? The soffit should just follow the plane from the planed off tip of the rafter to the top of the wall?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #4

Yes! just take a 2x and cut it aproxamitly the length you need lay it along side of the truss keeping the end where youwant it and the other end where you want the soffit to die. and mark it along its side this will be your pattern. BOB
Old 08-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Wounded Mathematician

Thanks Bob!

Just a few more questions for you knowledgable folk:

1. For the 2x pieces that support the soffit, what spacing would you recommend?

2. I am undecided about what material to use for the soffit itself. Is plywood suitable? Pros? Cons?

3. I think I will create a continuous vent along the full length of the soffit. How wide should the vent be? (The outer dimensions of the roof are 40'x34'. The roof has an approx. 2' overhang)

4. Where in relation to the edges of the soffit should the vent run? (ie along middle or closer to the wall?)

5. Should I just create a vent using a long strip of metal mesh/screen or are there other products on the market that would be simpler to install?

Any thoughts and suggestions regarding soffit venting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #6

I would choose the 3/4" 1x6 T&G bead board it can be bought in Pine or a composite material. if you use the 3/4" you can fasten them to the 2' OC truss rafter tails. They also make a aluminum soffit strip that can be used with the 3/4". start your soffit from the house out because you already have the crown molding installed. measure from the fascia back to the house at each end and snap a line. this will ensure that the soffit is running parallel to the fascia.
usually we start at the fascia and work back to the house and the crown covers any gaps between the soffit and the house. as I stated above work your way to the fascia with full boards, the last board that is going to butt against the vent strip, rip the bevel off the back of the bead board and install the vent. do the same with the other side. measure the width of your finished piece of soffit and rip that. note being that the fascia is already installed rip the soffit at a slight bevel so to make it a little easier to install. Check these links out. BOB
http://www.airvent.com/professional/...e-soffit.shtml
http://www.azek.com/viewProduct.php?id=7

Last edited by buletbob; 08-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Wounded Mathematician

Thanks Bob!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #8

Glad to be of any help

Tags
soffit