Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

soffits

I hope you can understand what I want to know, I am not the best person for putting things into words.

I want to put vinyl soffit material on the eves at the lower ends of my trusses. Beings the under side of the trusses are not square to the very end of the truss, what material do you use? The F channel doesn't seem to be a very good choice because the end of the truss is not square, the J channel would probably sag from the heat and I don't know of anything else.

I have metal roofing and there is metal facing trim all around the house.

Thanks Rodney

cruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 60

soffits

Welcome to the forum cruiser1.

Check out page 32 of this link, it will show you a few different options.

http://www.vinylsiding.org/publicati...ion_Manual.pdf

If that doesn’t help try posting a couple of pictures here.

How to attach a photo to a post

Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

soffits

Thanks for the info. The soffits they show are installed in a horizontal position, I can't do that in front of my porch, the soffit has to follow the bottom of the 5/12 pitch of the joist. It is the vinyl trim that I would need to use at the end of the joist. Picture the joist at a 5/12 pitch and the end of the joist is cut so it is vertical, with a 2x4 nailed to it, then a metal fascia cover (I think that is what you call it) is nailed to the ends of the joist. I need to know what I use to hold the soffit at the fascia, beings this 2x4's bottom edge isn't on a 5/12 pitch like the joist.

Sorry no camera.

Thanks
cruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

soffits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1 View Post
Thanks for the info. The soffits they show are installed in a horizontal position, I can't do that in front of my porch, the soffit has to follow the bottom of the 5/12 pitch of the joist. It is the vinyl trim that I would need to use at the end of the joist. Picture the joist at a 5/12 pitch and the end of the joist is cut so it is vertical, with a 2x4 nailed to it, then a metal fascia cover (I think that is what you call it) is nailed to the ends of the joist. I need to know what I use to hold the soffit at the fascia, beings this 2x4's bottom edge isn't on a 5/12 pitch like the joist.

Sorry no camera.

Thanks
Make some 5/12 wedges and fasten them onto the underside of the rafters. This will give a horizontal surface to mount the J mold on.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote