Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc
Share |

soffit venting question

Wasnt sure where to put this, so if there is a more appropriate place, let me know. Last few weeks I've been working on correcting insulation,venting,airsealing problems in my bonus room Kneewall area that I had previously posted about, and wanted to know if the soffit panels previously install on my home are too restrictive? If so is it worth looking around for something different?Also the soffit panel in the pic is exactly what's on my house, I used some snips and Opened up the original opening's and wanna know if maybe that would be enough? Some info: I pulled each of thos panels off and as long as the middle of the square panel didnt land on rafter lumber I cut a rectangle out, getting as close to the outside edge as I could, roughly about 5" by 8-10" opening, then re-attached the soffit panels, any help of info is very my appreciated, and thank you for your time
Attached Thumbnails
soffit venting question-dscn0289.jpg  
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

soffit venting question

What is it your having to cut, plywood, solid wood?
Got a picture of what your looking at after that soffit material was removed?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Windows & Remodeling

soffit venting question

Sounds like you are on the right track. Those panels are very common and not too restrictive provided that you have enough of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

soffit venting question

You need 7-1/2" rip of wood removed next to the fascia board, the length of the soffits for 9" of NFVA per foot for 1/150 venting system; http://bluelinxco.com/Portals/0/docs...20Brochure.pdf
That style requires cleaning annually as the moist air supplying the attic deposits water to collect air-born dirt, clogging them.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

soffit venting question

hey guys sorry,sorry for so long in getting back here, been having server issue's. It's about a 25 foot run along that eave, and those panels run the whole length,above those panels, it's half inch plywood, Gary: Your saying it would be best to run that rip the whole legth right? Basically leaving 7 1/2 inch's open from the inside of the facia toward's the house, That makes alot more sence than the individual square's I've done, and alot less, labor intensive being that it's just one rip.Tomorow I plan on working around the house so making that correction is first order of business.

Joecaption: I did take a few pic's and Ill try to get them up here,It is about half inch ply behind those panels

Homesealed: Thank you, I've got about 25 feet of them,hoping they will be enough
The reason for the concern about being too restrictive is due to not having a ridge vent but instead 3 of those box type vents a few feet below ridge. Hey I appreciate you guys for taking the time to help
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpc For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (02-03-2013)