Soffit Tails Length - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Soffit tails length

I have prefab trusses that have 24" soffit tails. I've been told by the supplier to just attach the 2x6 fascia board directly to the tails so the total soffit overhang would be 25 1/2". I've also read that some trim back so the tail is actually 22.5". What is the standard way of doing this or is it one of those matter of opinion debates?

Advertisement

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Soffit tails length

I prefer "Plumb" tail ends, not the factory delivered Straight Cuts, so that naturally requires some cutting. But leave them as long as possible.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

Soffit tails length

I second Willie's advise .....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Soffit tails length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I prefer "Plumb" tail ends, not the factory delivered Straight Cuts, so that naturally requires some cutting. But leave them as long as possible.
Forgot to ask - why leave them as long as possible?
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit tails length

I think just to keep the most rain/weather off the house as possible.
ms14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

Soffit tails length

If you wanted less over hang that's what should have been ordered.
Cut them back to much and you would need an engineer to sign off on them.
Trusses are not suppose to be altered.
The more over hang the more shade on the side of the house so it stays cooler, less water around the foundation.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Soffit tails length

as Joe mentioned you could cut into the structure of the truss if you cut to far back. if the factory cuts are square and the trusses are set right then it should work out to just put on your sub fascia and be done. they still might need some tweeking though before the sub fascia and a good string line helps with that. one of the reasons to keep it below 2 feet is so that soffit plywood can be cut in half at 24" and used but we do not know what type of soffit you will have up there.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,030

Soffit tails length

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
I have prefab trusses that have 24" soffit tails. I've been told by the supplier to just attach the 2x6 fascia board directly to the tails so the total soffit overhang would be 25 1/2". I've also read that some trim back so the tail is actually 22.5". What is the standard way of doing this or is it one of those matter of opinion debates?
In canada often the tails are not structural they extend beyond the part that sits on the wall. They are already cut plumb fo r the pitch of the truss.

If you use a string line to set them all the same, you can just nail on the 2x6. make sure you keep it down a little so it is flush on the top with the top of the truss.
If they are not exactly perfect straight you can shim the 2x6 straight. Then when the roof ply or OSB is nailed on it will hold it there.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit tails length

Leave it long and cut just enough to plumb it up. You would be surprised how much water you can keep off your stucco/siding with longer tails.
Godspede619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Soffit tails length

Besides all the logical reasons given here for leaving your overhang as long as possible, skimpy, shorter overhangs just plain make a house look cheaper... especially on gable ends.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 81

Soffit tails length

I just built a covered patio which had a 24" over hang and I used 2x4s on the facia. I like how it came out, no gutters in my install but would be nothing to add them. Here is a pic if interested

Soffit tails length-image-136480367.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Soffit tails length-image-1738011183.jpg  
Olcrazy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Old School

Soffit tails length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olcrazy1 View Post
I just built a covered patio which had a 24" over hang and I used 2x4s on the facia. I like how it came out, no gutters in my install but would be nothing to add them. Here is a pic if interested

Attachment 75107
Instead of gutters, have you considered diffusers?

Or, if you do use gutters, "rain chains" make neat downspouts in those applications.

Last edited by Willie T; 08-21-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,030

Soffit tails length

Willie have you seen this done in high rain areas? How it work out?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 93

Soffit tails length

The "truss" is what runs the length of the structure and each rafter fasstens into, right? So, by having a 24" overhang (rafter tail?) that then creates the low-sloping roof? I'm new, and really like the height (apex) of the roof listed in your pic and wonder if the 24" off the structure plays an indirect role in the slope of the roof.

Thanks,

Harry.

Advertisement

hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote