Soffit Lookouts, Spacing, And Support - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit Lookouts, Spacing, and Support

So I'm boxing in my HVAC unit and the lookouts are going to extend about 9 feet. I plan on using 2x4 for the lookouts. My thought was to put them 1.5" down. Now my ceiling joists are about 20 oc. Can I align my lookouts with my ceiling joists so that putting support in the middle (at the 4.5 ft mark of the lookouts) is easier? I'm assuming I need support to avoid bowing when I put my drywall on.

Also, as for the support at 4.5 ft, I was thinking of using hook and wire like a drop ceiling (18 gauge) since it's very tight spacing between the HVAC, plumbing and everything else I plan on boxing in. Anybody have any experience with using hook and wire or feel strongly against it?

Advertisement

034runner is offline   Reply With Quote