Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Soffit install question

I'm going to be installing aluminum soffit over old wood beadboard on my front porch (its beyond restoration). It measures 8' x 26', so I have a lot of nailing to do.

1. I'm running the soffit on the short direction. Will a nail on each end as well as two evenly spaced in the field cut it or is that spanning too far?
2. Me and aluminum nails don't get along real well. I have a hard time sinking the nails in the groove in the soffit without dinging the finished surface - even when using a nail set. What's the trick to drive them flush?
3. I did some searching and see that some people use a pneumatic stapler for installing soffit. Would that still work if you can see the exposed fasteners such as my porch soffit? I see how you could hide the staples when covering with fascia, but I'm at a loss for nailing in the field.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Soffit install question

screw it.
place screws in the 'v' groove of the soffit material about every 4 feet or less and you should be okay.
you may need to add some blocking to screw to.

[edit]
I re-read and if the bead board is still there, maybe screw to that.
[/edit]

Last edited by jlhaslip; 04-12-2010 at 08:09 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Soffit install question

Stubborn,
I used to do a lot of aluminum work in my younger days. We used to use a 1/4" crown stapler and shoot in the v-groove with the gun turned 90 degrees to the groove. That way the staple was running in the same direction as the groove. Depending on what alum. soffit material you get, it will either have one or two grooves in it plus the male and female edges. I would staple each piece on the female edge where it won't show once the next piece goes on, about every 2'.
Once you have it all up, chalk a couple of evenly spaced lines perpendicular to the grooves and staple in the grooves along the lines. If the staples are all in a nice line, it will look fine. Also, most siding warehouses sell staples painted white, 1/4" x 1" or 1 1/4". If not, paint them yourself before using and you won't hardly notice them at all.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Soffit install question

you shouldn't be nailing in the groove in the face of the panel,unless im understanding this wrong
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,196

Soffit install question

Doesn’t your aluminum soffit have a nail flange you nail with roofing nails?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #6

Soffit install question

one of these will help to place trim nails in tight places,ask for a trim nail punch at your local siding distributor
Attached Images

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-16-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Soffit install question

Tom, That's one of my secret weapons.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-16-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Soffit install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
you shouldn't be nailing in the groove in the face of the panel,unless im understanding this wrong
Tom,
A lot of the aluminum soffit we used to hang was 16" wide and had two v-grooves besides the ones on either end formed when putting two pieces together. If you didn't nail into the grooves in the middle of the panel, it would sag slightly. That is why I would snap a chalk line and then staple along the line, in the groove. It would make the panels hang nice and flat, and the staples weren't that noticable if they were painted to match ahead of time. The narrower soffit material that around 12" wide with only one groove in the middle would not need the staple in the middle groove. You could use trim nails and the tool shown above, but you risk the chance of denting a panel if you slip with the hammer, and it would take forever on a large porch.

Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-16-2010)