Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

So i've got both walls opened up in my kitchen and....

There is a double 2x10 running from the exterior wall to the load bearing wall in the center of the house (approximately 11 feet) I noticed that on neither end is there any support in the wall directly underneath them. I would suspect that they should have a 4x4 below them, is this correct?

If I were to put 4x4 under them for support, would I be able to drill holes through it for the electrical that is currently there without compromising too much?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 30

The point load for that header may be sitting on a floor joist or a doubled joist and be perfectly fine as it is---a sketch or photo of the framing below would be needed to determine what is supporting the header and if it is adequate.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 108

If there was a support needed it would be doubled up 2 X 4's not a 4 X 4. 4 X 4's tend to twist and curl.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Joists are typically doubled when there is a partition over them, e.g. plans often specify "double joists beneath parallel partitions", Determine what load it is supporting and then this forum can offer some opinions. If you were to look at your house frame from the exterior before it is sheathed you will find that on a two story house the rafter is over a stud, over a joist, over a stud, over a joist (and rimboard) that bears onto a sill plate. So if there is a doubled joist and picking up more than a non-bearing partition then it should be over a double stud with the load to the sill plate.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 76

You can't just add a support under the ends. That support has go all the way to the foundation. What is under the floor where you want to add these supports?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Sorry, I left out that : these doubled 2x10's are supporting the exterior wall of the second floor. They are sitting only on the doubled top plates of the walls which end up being almost center of the stud bay.

Underneath the walls are : Exterior wall 2x6 T&G subfloor, then just a sill plate and concrete stem wall.

Interior load bearing wall has a 4x10 underneath it. I understand that I may have to add a pier / post underneath this area if there isn't one already. I do know there are a couple within 5 feet of each other, but not sure if it will follow a post directly to the ground.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Doing it myself

first picture is on the load bearing interior wall.

second picture is exterior.

You can see the exterior wall has some scabbed together framing, therefore actually sitting on a tripled up 2x4 (horizontal), but i still think it should have some sort of post below it.

If I do need to put double 2x4 below these joists, can i drill small holes for electrical through them? The interior wall would only need a large enough hole for 1 wire, the exterior needs a large enough hole for 2 wires, or 2 small holes.
Attached Thumbnails
So i've got both walls opened up in my kitchen and....-dscf1000.jpg   So i've got both walls opened up in my kitchen and....-dscf1001.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
DIY staff

Those tripled joists should have a triple stack of studs below---I see no signs of sagging from the pictures so the work may not be needed ---however,while the wall is open I would---drill though for the wires.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Those tripled joists should have a triple stack of studs below---I see no signs of sagging from the pictures so the work may not be needed ---however,while the wall is open I would---drill though for the wires.
Actually the one on the right in the first picture and the one on the left in the second picture is just a truss. It shouldn't be bearing in the middle of the house, right? In that case, I would only need a double in the middle of the house, and a triple on the exterior since the truss WOULD be bearing on the exterior wall? Or just triple stud both walls to be safe?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
DIY staff

If that triple is a truss---it is bearing only at the ends----not the center----trusses rise and fall so avoid a solid post in the center---walls built under a truss are usually fastened with sliding truss clips to avoid squeaking nails
Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If that triple is a truss---it is bearing only at the ends----not the center----trusses rise and fall so avoid a solid post in the center---walls built under a truss are usually fastened with sliding truss clips to avoid squeaking nails
Yeah, that's what i thought. If you look closely you can see the plywood sheathing for the upstairs exterior wall between the joists and the truss.

So i'll triple stud on the exterior and just a double on the interior. (there's actually a plug on the other side of the wall right where the truss is anyway, so that makes it simpler... no repairs in the dining room.)

Thanks as always Mike.

oh'mike (11-25-2012)