Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Smell under sink

I have a mysterious smell coming out of the cabinet under the kitchen sink. I pulled everything out and thouroughly cleaned it, and then searched under the kick plate for dead mouse, then under the trailer, then under the subfloor between the joists. The trailer is only a year old, and the smell is somewhere between mouldy rags/dead mouse. I have even taken the pipes apart and cleaned them. I'm stumped! Anyone ever expirienced this?

carpfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Smell under sink

Carp: Never mind. I just re-read your post, and you've already looked at the floor insulation. Hmmm.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,392

Smell under sink

FEMA trailer?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Smell under sink

do you have an air inlet valve as apposed to a normal vent for that sink?

I was planning an air inlet valve on my sink and realized a drop or 2 of the PVC cement got somewhere and ruined it to where it was letting air escape and would have basically acted like a hole in the pipe, letting sewer gasses in.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Smell under sink

Yes I have an air inlet valve which I was able to remove and inspect. It doesn't have a filter, but the smell is not a sewer smell. It's also really confined to the one cabinet. If you put your head into either of the adjacent cabinets there is no immediate smell.
carpfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Smell under sink

Filter? AIVs are basically a spring loaded valve that permits air movement in one direction, but not the other.

A slight weeping of air would have a different "flavor" than an open pipe. I'd probably replace the AIV with a new one I tested first before ripping apart walls and cabinets looking for other causes. They aren't that expensive.

It could be a glue or insulation smell from off-gassing. It really could be just about anything.

Maybe bring a friend over with a strong sense of smell to investigate. The smell may be much more pervasive than you think. When you are constantly exposed to odors, you physically can no longer smell them. My wife gave up her pet ferrets that she had for years and years after she had them out of the house for a couple weeks during a remodel because she realized just how bad they stunk when she took them back. I can't say I miss them at all.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote