Small Shop / Garage Build Thread - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Lost..

Rewards Points: 268

Small Shop / Garage build thread

Hey folks, I've posted a few threads here in the past couple years about a small shop / garage I wanted to build behind my house. I finally got started this weekend and I just wanted to provide some pictures and a walk through of what I'm doing. I'd like any kind of advice any here have to offer. Here is a link to a thread when I first started the ideas:

Building a storage building / small shop..please step in.

There are a few other threads on the foundation and some other bits and pieces. I did end up ordering my wood from a lumber yard. It was nice too, because every bit of it was delivered to me in my driveway, and ended up being cheaper than the local Lowes building supply store.

I took three days off of work to hopefully get this thing framed up, and a roof over it. We had some rain in our forecast (just my luck). It didn't really slow me down though because I still had alot of saw work to do on the rafters and some other stuff.

Here is an autocad drawing of the frame. The only thing I changed is the right side wall - to accommodate the roll up door and raised the ceiling to 9' instead of 8' for more headroom.

Here is a finished rendering of it. Again, no roll up door and 8' ceilings here.

Starting the project friday morning:

Left side and back wall up. I almost couldn't raise the back wall by myself because it was pretty heavy.

Roll up door side framed and up. This took longer than I thought, because it has alot of special sized pieces and all. those little cripples above the header had to be toe nailed and that was hard. I've gotten pretty good at toe nailing.

To raise the front wall, I built one side and put a temporary cap piece up there, raised it, and did the same for the other side. Then I did the other side the same way. When I got them both up I took the temporary pieces off and put the permanent 16' plate up there. I had to put the door headers up and all the cripples, and then rack the walls again and put the top caps on. Sounds easy, looks easy, but none of it was..

Here's a picture of the bird's mouths on the rafters. alot of saw work on the rafters. I cut those saturday on my covered back patio waiting on the rain to stop.

Advertisement

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Lost..

I managed to get the ceiling joists up (which I changed to 2x6s instead of 2x4s. The inside will not be finished and there will be nothing hanging from them, but I still wanted them a little stronger.) The rain pretty much curbed my progress saturday so I picked back up yesterday (sunday). Here are the ceiling joists up and the rain..

And here is a picture of how it stands now. I did the rafters and ridge board yesterday and got it almost done. Still have some nailing to finish up, but the frame is 95% complete.

I'm not gonna be able to finish it all right away and I'm afraid to put any OSB on it that will be left exposed. I've seen rain really mess that stuff up. My plan was to get the whole thing framed up, and a roof on it it by yesterday afternoon. I didn't factor in being so sore I can hardly move and rain though. I had had no idea how hard this was going to be on me. I completely underestimated the physical part of it haha. I have to let my boss at work know ahead of time if I want time off like this because I work 7 days a week. It was a stretch to get these three days off and now I'm worried about it. It has already been rained on once, and I'm afraid it may be a few weeks before I can get some more days off to put the roof on it. Will the frame be okay with a little rain here and there until I can get to the roof?

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Lost..

I forgot to add, and I still can't believe it, but I did every single nail and piece in this thing with no help by myself. I guess If you want to do something bad enough you will find a way lol
Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Looks nice, great progress and pictures. I want one!
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,168

Good job. Your framing is fine; it will dry once you get it covered. Now, it's really great to be able to say "I did it", but it looks like you live in a nice neighborhood, which I am sure has a lot of nice people, so as your aching body has already told you, get some help before trying to lift the sheathing up to the roof, etc.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Lost..

This site used to have alot more replies. Where did all the help go?

I'm wondering if I have everything I need in my roof framing. Do I need to have some bracing up there of some sort? It just doesn't seem supported enough for me.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post

I'm wondering if I have everything I need in my roof framing. Do I need to have some bracing up there of some sort? It just doesn't seem supported enough for me.
Looks nice!
But where is the foam sill-plate gasket ?
Also how did you attach those bottom plates to the slab ?
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelToes View Post
Looks nice!
But where is the foam sill-plate gasket ?
Also how did you attach those bottom plates to the slab ?

No foam gasket was ever mentioned as a requirement by the building inspector here in AL. I've never seen a house in construction with them either. The plates are attached with 1/2" concrete anchors.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #9

Great job JS outstanding! If you can do all that in a few days, the shingles will be easy.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waterman1971 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
No foam gasket was ever mentioned as a requirement by the building inspector here in AL. I've never seen a house in construction with them either. The plates are attached with 1/2" concrete anchors.
That's because you are using PT for the bottom plates so there is no need for capilary break.
I use it ,it is inexpenisive and to some extent seals the gaps in between bottom plate and concrete preventing heat loss and acts as a barrier to insects.

What kind of anchors ?
Red Heads ? Are they galvanized?
What about the overhang ?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Lost..

yes those are PT bottom plates.

Not sure on the specific type of anchors. The have a small collar that expands as the nut is tightened and pulls the bolt up. Holes drilled in slab were 1/2". they are galvanized.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #12

Good job that is going to be one nicely build shop.
Post some pictures when you are done!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Residential Remodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:

Sheath your walls first.

Add a simpson H2 hurricane clip to each rafter.

Frame in your gable end walls and sheath.

Then sheath the roof.

The H2s and sheathing will be more than enough to make that a sturdy roof.
CookeCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
Sheath your walls first.

Add a simpson H2 hurricane clip to each rafter.

Frame in your gable end walls and sheath.

Then sheath the roof.

The H2s and sheathing will be more than enough to make that a sturdy roof.
I do have the hurricane ties for the rafters, I just haven't put them up yet.

Is it absolutely imperative that I sheath the walls before I start on the roof? I have had several people tell me this.

My main concern right now is to get the bare frame covered as quickly as possible. I don't have hardly any time to work with, and that is turning into a real problem.

Somebody here already mentioned that the rain won't hurt my bare frame, but I don't know. I know that sheathing the walls will be a chore, and I don't have any help. It is just me working. I am afraid that I won't be able to get the walls sheathed and covered before a rain comes and I really don't want the OSB to get wet. That is the reason I wanted to do the roof first. This way, once the roof is up, I can take my time on the wall sheathing without really having to worry about the elements.

Please excuse my frustration, I'm just a little tied by work at the moment. I took three days off in hopes of framing it and getting a roof on it, but that didn't happen. So now, I don't know when I will get another day off, and I am left to do this for an hour or so each night after I get home from work. I can't really stay out there too long nailing on the thing in the dark. I live in a neighborhood and people will surely start complaining if I don't go inside in a timely manner each night.

What I meant on the roof support framing is some sort of ties or something. the rafters are attached at the bottom near their tails to the ceiling joist and double plates of the walls, and of course up top at the ridge board. Other than this, there are no other structural pieces keeping the rafters from swaying sided to side, like the domino effect so to speak. is there suposed to be some sort of 45 degree supports in there somewhere?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Residential Remodeler

Rewards Points: 75

When you frame in your gable end walls, that will cut down on side-to-side movement.

And then the sheathing off the roof will lock the rafters into place.

I advise sheathing the walls before loading weight onto the roof as it will lock everything plumb and square.

Advertisement

CookeCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote