Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #1

Share |

Small Office Condensation and Cold Problems

Hi

I have a small 'office' constructed of brick with concrete floors and tiled roof.

This a single course brick construction and the problem I have is that the 'office' is very cold and has a lot of condensation.

I have been trying to think of ways of curing both.

One thought I had was to use plaster board and battens with an insulator between wall and board. Something like Roofmate or similar just on the external walls.

Is this going to be the most effective solution or will I still experience condensation problems?

The other alternative is to build an internal skin out of narrow brick but this will reduce overall floor space considerably and will be expensive!

Any alternative ideas fully appreciated.

Thanks

htrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Builder/Remodeler

A couple questions: where are you located, on what surfaces is condensation forming, and what type of heating (if any) are you using?

mpepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Cold is caused by lack of heat. This is not meant to be mean but it is one solution to your situation.

Condensation is caused by warmer moist air coming in contact with cooler air or surfaces.

Things that you can do.

Decrease the humidity of the air with a dehumidifier. This is almost a must in the midwest.

Reduce the transition distance of warm moist air in contact with cooler air or surfaces. This can be done with insulation of the outer walls either from the outside or from the inside. Inside would be best and easiest.

Increasing the heat would help warm the brick and there would be less moisture since the brick is the major source of a cold surface for the warmer moist air to contact.

Ceiling fans do help in moving air and heat around and have some effect on condensation.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Cold is caused by lack of heat. This is not meant to be mean but it is one solution to your situation.

Condensation is caused by warmer moist air coming in contact with cooler air or surfaces.

Things that you can do.

Decrease the humidity of the air with a dehumidifier. This is almost a must in the midwest.

Reduce the transition distance of warm moist air in contact with cooler air or surfaces. This can be done with insulation of the outer walls either from the outside or from the inside. Inside would be best and easiest.

Increasing the heat would help warm the brick and there would be less moisture since the brick is the major source of a cold surface for the warmer moist air to contact.

Ceiling fans do help in moving air and heat around and have some effect on condensation.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Isnt it a bit of a catch 22?

If I increase the heat in the building then there will be more condensation as the same problem of a single skin building with cold walls doesnt change?

Dry lining the exterior walls does seem to be the obvious answer but I do not then want the problem occuring between the brick and the plaster board which would then create problems with the plasterboard.

If I used an insulating material between the brick and the plasterboard would this simply help the transfer of any moisture?
htrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #5

Have a vapor barrier such as polyethylene sheeting on the inside as is customary for all insulated buildings in cold climates. For example, just behind the finished paneling.

The small amount of moisture that manages to condense behind, on the brick, will gradually wick through the brick and dissipate outside.

The exterior walls should not have been coated or treated to retard moisture passage, otherwise you have to forego the inside moisture barrier and rely on dehumidifiers. Having two moisture barriers is a no-no.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote