Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |

Small leak on bottom of basement wall?

Hello everyone! New to the homeower world... Looking for answers... I was directed to this site...

Anyways, after solid rainfall I get a very slow leak(small puddle every day and a half or so) at the bottom of my basement wall. The leak comes from a crack a couple inches up from the floor along the vertical motor joint(block wall). There is a small hairline crack but I dont know how to get to the problem. After a day or two when the rain water drys up along the house it stops.

So what Im asking I guess is how do I approach this problem? The paint is peeling with time on that particular block. When I touch the block where the paint is removed the block is wet and stays that way but the leak stops... This weekend I'm re-grading along side the house and doing all the normal things to see if it prevents this from happening the next time it rains.

If this doesnt work I m not sure what the problem is? Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Drylock...etc I know thats the first thing most likely, but what can I do besides that? Im very good and handy...

Looking for some help... thanks!
5 Boroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

good - ' handy ' is good when you need to start digging the ONLY way you'll stop this is to dig outside down to the footer & seal the crk w/asphalt roofing cement,,, anything else will fail over time.

this doesn't mean you should direct downspouts towards the crk however, the wtr will still find its way to the btm of the wall &, possible, find another way into your very fine bsmt,,, ' drylock ' products don't & never do permanently its always easier to think of your home's bsmt as a ship's hull below the waterline

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #3

So do you think I should just dig by that area or dig the entire side of the house and put a footer drain down there as well? Do you think that leak coming from the exact area(by the footer on the block) or could it be coming from any part of the footer along the wall? Then I guess that block is wet... or could water drain from somewhere to that block/area?

I have the tools to do it. A couple trucks for dirt, shovels... etc.. How long will this take so I get an adea? My house is roughly 30-35 feet long...
Let me know... thanks!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Mod

I’d dig the whole thing out and install a drain. It’s almost guaranteed the entry point of the water is a different location than where you’re seeing it on the inside.

How many feet below grade does the foundation go?

How long it takes depends on who’s holding the shovel. You’ll want a pick too.

A couple of pictures would help, inside and outside.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #5

It's no more than 6-7 feet deep... If i dig out the entire side I would probably just lay some thick plastic above ground level and throw the dirt up top. Im assuming that would be the best option???

What do you reccomend?
Or if I was to pay contractor to do it what would it cost me? How much would I save if I did it kwikfishron ???
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Mod

Can’t tell you the best procedure for you to go about it for your particular situation
5 Boroughs.

That’s were the “Pictures” come in.

Can’t tell you what it would cost, don’t know your location. It would cost a lot more in "NYC" than it would in "Hick Town Kansas".

I’d bet you would be saving $40-100 per man hr. doing it your self.

But then again you may save nothing if the shovel work sends you to the E.R.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-02-2010 at 07:53 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote