DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Small Concret Mixer

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  blue_can 
#1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing a small concret mixer for pouring a concrete footing for a small wall and some other stuff. I see there are many choices around. However there are many that cost a lot more than others (Multiquip, Imer etc) as opposed to ones by Harborfreight and Home Depot (Husky). These are all around the 3 - 4 cu ft size.

My question is - is it worth paying more for a better brand or would the cheaper ones work just as well.

#3 ·
What about "U-Cart" concrete?

If you only have a couple small jobs to do, purchasing these small quantities of concrete from a yard that rents you a small trailer with the concrete is another alternative.

Assuming you have a tow vehicle, and that you can't foresee using the mixer many times in the future.

My Dad's family owned a small cement mixer for doing small jobs. The problem was always discovering who in the family had it stored in their yard when Dad needed it for a home improvement job, and hoping it didn't need too much repair or chipping out prior to use. Owning a small mixer may guarantee you a whole new crop of "friends", some who may not take adequate care of your tool.

I know, my boss call me a cynical old SOB. But there can be a down side to owning specialty tools. Just be aware.............

#4 ·
LOL. It is always better to be the borrower of someone elses rarely used, expensive, specialized tool that takes a lot of space to store instead of being the owner who is always lending it out. Can you find someone who knows someone who's relative has a neighbor with one?

Maybe work out a borrowing trade? I managed to trade the use of my drywall lift for the use of a friend of a friend's roofing coil nailer.

#6 ·
Ha Ha - good point about people borrowing tools. Actually it's not been too bad given I have a huge tool collection. Among my tools I have a 20 ton hydraulic press, a MIG welder and a whole bunch of metalworking tools, plumbing tools, tools to work on natural gas lines, electrical tools, masonry and drywall tools etc. I also have a comprehensive collection of stone fabrication tools as I fabricate my own tops out of granite, marble etc. I do have people borrowing tools but they usually bring it right back.

I do have quite a few cheap tools such as Harborfreight and some of them are surprisingly good value for money especially if you don’t use them to make a living. I bought their mid-size demolition hammer to dig up my yard for a new patio (which is what the concrete mixer is for) since around here we have hard clay soil which is full of large rocks and boulders. It cannot be dug by hand. I dug out about 10 cu yds of material and it worked really well.

The reason about considering a good concrete mixer is due to the fact I cannot afford to have it breakdown during a pour since the concrete will set within a finite amount of time. If there were no time limit like this I would be quite happy to chance it with a cheap tool.

I was looking at this one as a possibility – do you guys think this would be a good buy. I like the fact it can be used as a wheelbarrow but also comes with a stand of you want to use it from a fixed location and use a wheelbarrow to move the concrete.

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Concrete-Tools/Portable-Concrete-Mixers/Multiquip-Mix-N-Go

#7 ·
I rented one similar from Home Depot to what is at the provided URL - worked well. It was easy to handle - low height to fill, and dump.

Don't remember what the cost for a weekend was, but it was not a whole lot. I was thinking of buying one of the inexpensive ones to - then did the rental. The rental worked well.

#9 ·
For small, infrequent jobs I have used the Cement Solutions bag (http://thecementsolution.com/) and would not have believed they could work so well. The first job I did was a large footing in my finished basement that required thirteen 80# bags of concrete. No problem... each bag mixed in under 3 minutes with NO DUST in the home. The only thing I would add to the instruction on their website is to use a pair of rubber gloves to give a final mix to the concrete once it has been mixed per instructions. I'm a DIY'er with no financial connection to the product.

#10 ·
For small, infrequent jobs I have used the Cement Solutions bag (http://thecementsolution.com/) and would not have believed they could work so well. The first job I did was a large footing in my finished basement that required thirteen 80# bags of concrete. No problem... each bag mixed in under 3 minutes with NO DUST in the home. The only thing I would add to the instruction on their website is to use a pair of rubber gloves to give a final mix to the concrete once it has been mixed per instructions. I'm a DIY'er with no financial connection to the product.
This is one of those 'duh, why didn't I think of that' items. Most excellent.

#11 ·
If its a yard or so, go to United Rentals and tow one of those 1 yard mixers home. They had $120 per yard on their reader board for a long while, and that's not bad for the situation.

If its more than a yard, order it from your local concrete company. That is, assuming you can get a concrete truck where you want it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.