Small Cantilever In Joists Over Stone Veneer - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Small cantilever in joists over stone veneer

I have a balloon frame house. In this house, the studs run to the first floor and sit on a bottom plate, which sits on two layers of sub-floor, which sit on 12 " joists.

I've replaced part of my foundation with 12 " block, then 8 " inch block for a brick ledge. I'm going to put 4 inch limestone veneer over the 8" block. This is the original limestone block - I'm going to split it the old-fashioned way, with a drill and shims.

The joists that run perpendicular to the wall will overhang the 8 " block by approximately 3.25 ", which is about the width of the exterior walls.

I'm curious about the load transfer from the exterior load bearing walls and the joists that will sit parallel on the sill plate ( there are 3 sides to the area with the new foundation and on two of the sides the joists run parallel to the sill plate). The sill plate will be a 2 x 10 and overhang the 8 inch block by 3.25 inches.

Will the load transfer to the 8 " block, or will the limestone veneer end up bearing the load where the joists run parallel to the sill plate?

I already have a solution, if the limestone veneer will end up bearing the load, but I'm soliciting opinions ... wondering if it's necessary.

Advertisement

ivanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Small cantilever in joists over stone veneer

Any chance you can pat a picture our sketch of the situation? I think I get what you are asking but want to be sure.

Advertisement

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote