Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Share |

Small addition to enclose an outside door

Hey guys,

Going to try my best to keep my thoughts/questions as clear as possible. I have enclosed some pictures to better help visualize what I want to do.

I have a door that leads to a room built inside my pole barn. The problem I have is that the door leads directly into the room and there is no shelter/exterior section to prevent elements or bugs in the summer from just making there way in whenever someone goes in or out of the door. There is no room inside to make a small "mudroom" area, so I want to build a small enclosure around the door on the outside. And when I say small, I mean small. Only about 8' long x 4' wide.

The second picture is my idea, along with the help of some very artistic Paint work if I say so myself
The red outline around the door would be a 2x4 framework screwed directly to the support beams of the pole barn.
The two yellow dots near the bottom of the photo would be the spot of 4x4's spiked/cemented into the ground, so that I could run 2x4's from the framework around the door to the 4x4's to create the shell of the room. The blue outline would be the area of the stone walkway in front of the door I would dig up to make and run 2x4 across to support a 3/4" plywood floor.
The entire framework would be covered on the outside (including roof) with plywood. The inside would be left uncovered (no drywall or insulation).
Also, the side with the green line is the entrance to this new room, but I have not decided whether I will put a door there or just a simple screen door or maybe just some sort of tarp/flap type opening. Have no idea. Definitely need suggestions on this part.

Ok, there is the idea, which is rough at this moment. I will be repainting the entire barn this summer, so I can worry about matching the outside to the barn and asthetics when that point comes. Right now just concerned with getting the "room" built and usable.
The idea above is what I have been able to brainstorm for little money. I am VERY open to suggestions, as long as it's doable for an average DIY'er.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Small addition to enclose an outside door-img_4656.jpg   Small addition to enclose an outside door-paint.jpg  

BigCoolJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

It's called a vestibule.
They're real nice to have.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
It's called a vestibule.
They're real nice to have.
For the last few weeks I have been struggling to use the correct term searching Google for this project. You solved that little tidbit for me. Thanks.

Back to the design. Again, while crude (especially the awesome MS Paint image), is what I have described adequate enough to do the job? Any suggestions or concerns?

I know it will look tacky, fine be me. As long as it is functional. Ovbiously building it without the door on the side with the green line (in the picture) will be easier, but if even a simple screen door could be added on with any of your suggestions on doing it easily and right, I'll go for it.

Thanks!
BigCoolJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #4

basicly, what you want to do is build a small shed , connected to the building. i would put the door in front of the existing one = in case you need to put long stuff in that room. and i would do a slab, with some blocks to raise the sill plate. or at least a paver slab with lots of stone base.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote