Slowly Raising Hearth - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Slowly raising hearth

I have a slab of slate in front of my fireplace. Over the last six years, it has risen about a quarter of an inch above the floor. There aren't any signs of the house sagging or cracking around the mantle nor is there any signs of cracking in the mortar in the fireplace. In fact the bottom of the fireplace is still even with the slab. I can't imaging my whole house sinking, but it can't figure out what is going on. Any guesses?

Advertisement

sadrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

Slowly raising hearth

Is there a moisture barrier under the house.
Is there a particle board subfloor?

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Slowly raising hearth

It is a colonial with a basement so no moisture barrier and the flooring is standard plywood, no particle board. I'm thinking it might be moisture seeping in somewhere and causing the subfloor to swell, but it's strange that there isn't any cracking around the mortar where it meets the fireplace bottom, nor is the moulding shifted either. I can add pictures if it would help.
sadrok is offline   Reply With Quote