Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Slow drain tile?

I recently bought a townhouse in lincoln ne that is 8 yrs old and the soil is clay. My window wells, which have covers on and I have done dirt around foundation , fill w water and take weeks to drain. The sump kicks on at least a couple times a day(?) discharging approx a gallon of water so i feel it is working, so getting water to the pump must b the prob. There is about 8 inches of gravel in the wells n i just feel that the sitting water along the wall should reach the tile and b draining out faster. Can I check/ repair the tile myself by digging down to it or is this a job for a professional? I know it would b a lot of work but Im up for it.

Last edited by LORIDEE; 04-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.
LORIDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Slow drain tile?

8 inches of gravel isn't very helpful if you have another 40 inches to reach the weeping tile. Additionally, clay retains a lot water.

Another possible problem is that the weeping tile is blocked or cracked. If that's the case, you're looking at a whole lot of digging.. I'd call in the pros for that sort of job, unless you want to dig for days or are comfortable with heavy machinery.

What I would do in your situation is dig out the water well down to the weeping tile. You're looking at maybe and area 4'x4'x5'. Certainly doable. Next, I'd grab a water hose and let it run on full above the weeping tile for quite a while. If water starts backing up, you know you have an issue with the weeping tile and it's time to call in the pros to get it scoped, and of course, repaired. If water doesn't back up, then I think you're in the clear. All you really need to do is fill up the hole with 3/4" gravel and reattach the window well.

Cross your fingers.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote