Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sloped residential driveway help

sloped residential driveway railing

Puzzled. I need help.

My home sits in a residential city block on 1/6 acre elevated about 1 1/2 to 2ft ft higher than the road in front of it. The property one side is level with my property. The property to the other side is level with the road.

When I purchased the home, it already had a sloped concrete driveway on the the side where the adjacent property is lower. The drive way is approx. 3 1/2 car lenghts long.

I am not sure where my property line so I do not want to post any posts in the yard where the lower property is.

I just want to build a rail or safety barrier on top of the concrete driveway. other yards have fencing along their drive ways or bermuda grass running the length so it would be ok on my block to have the rail, but of course, it needs to not be like solid concrete or brick so as to block view of other homes.

I would like for it to be approx. 3 ft high and for it to be most inexpensive but effective at deterring a car from driving up and dropping off or a person from getting out of car and falling off the side of driveway because it gradually slopes upward from level road for about 3 1/2 car lenghths until it reaches a max slope height of apprx. 2 1/2 ft.

Who thought this up I am not sure. But, I am a single lady that needs an inexpensive suggestion for some safety.

Any suggestions?

Newontheblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

Laurel hedges grow for free.

Your neighbor probably knows where the property line is.

Last edited by abracaboom; 12-31-2011 at 06:22 AM.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #3

I will have to look online to see what they are. Thanks, but I am really green on this stuff.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracaboom View Post
Laurel hedges grow for free.

Your neighbor probably knows where the property line is.
You are right, but she is a single elderly widow. I can ask her though. And, you are so right hedges would be a great fix because a person's safety is most important. Inexpensive too. Perhaps I can work out something with her to put the hedges and it could enhance her property too. ? ? Thanks for such a quick reply. Now, I see that hedges are a great idea. I looked them up online and see that they grown tall and bulky. Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

Next in line for inexpensive would be a chain-link fence. Drilling holes in the concrete for their small posts would not cost much extra. You can grow jasmin over the fence to cover the ugly. Jasmin is much easier to keep trimmed than a hedge.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracaboom View Post
Next in line for inexpensive would be a chain-link fence. Drilling holes in the concrete for their small posts would not cost much extra. You can grow jasmin over the fence to cover the ugly. Jasmin is much easier to keep trimmed than a hedge.
Great idea also. I will look up what jasmin looks like. But, you have been helpful! Let me know if you come up with any other ideas.