Slim Soffit For Ductwork In Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Slim Soffit for Ductwork in Basement

Do to an upcoming addition, I need to reroute the ductwork for my bathroom exhaust fan and for my dryer exhaust, both 4" round metal duct. I don't have a lot of options for where to run the ducts given that 1) I live in a rowhouse, so only two exterior walls, 2) the ducts can't be longer than 25', 3) the ducts can't exhaust within 3' of any windows or door. As such, I need to run the ducts perpendicular to the ceiling joists and must build a soffit.

I am looking for some advice on how to build the slimmest, lowest profile soffit possible. The soffit needs to run along the basement bathroom ceiling, so I would like for it to be attractive and small as possible.

So, I would love advice on the following (or anything you think is helpful)

1) Where should I locate the soffit in the bathroom to be most attractive and least obvious? I have included a drawing of the bathroom. Because of windows and door, it would be best for the vents to exit somewhere in the vicinity of the tub. Also, it is a tub/shower.

2) How can I build it to minimize its size. If I use 2x4 or 2x3 material, it's going to be big!!

3) How much space do I need to leave between the two ducts to make sure I will be able to terminate them on the outside?

Any other thoughts or ideas would be VERY much appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Slim Soffit for Ductwork in Basement-bathroomlayout.jpg  

Advertisement

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

.Minimize Size?
Use
" Luan plywood for the field and chamfer moulding trim as inside edge supports to box in the Luan. You will need a brad nailer to assemble this without going crazy.

Space between Ducts?
Run them side by side, then branch off one duct a foot or so from the exit outside wall.

http://americanchamfer.com/chamferandmoulding.asp
Attached Images

Advertisement

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #3

Awesome, awesome idea, will it really support drywall though?

Also, is it ok if I channel out the existing drywall so that the soffit and the ductwork run right along the joists? This would gain me AT LEAST .5", but I believe the basement ceiling has been furred down, so it could gain me 2". If I do this, are there any special precautions for firestopping?

Last edited by stubits; 04-28-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

No Drywall but use thin Luan plywood. If it was me I would probably instead of Luan use 1/8" Luan sheets ripped down to the height and width that I need.

As far as firestoping I would call your local Building and Safety Office to see what is required. Most basements that I have seen, have exposed joists.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

Hmm, this will need to be drywalled as the rest of the basement is drywalled and we use it as real living space. This was a great suggestion, but I am not sure if it going to work in our situation.