Sliding Door Glass Replacment - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sliding Door Glass Replacment

I have a Pella sliding glass door where the outside pane of glass has spider webbed and is now taken out. What is the correct procedure to remove the existing glass frame and inside piece of glass to take it to a repair shop?

There is wood trim that I've removed from around the frame...but the glass and frame does not easily come out.

Tks in advance.

Broken and in pane...

Advertisement

ryans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans View Post
I have a Pella sliding glass door where the outside pane of glass has spider webbed and is now taken out. What is the correct procedure to remove the existing glass frame and inside piece of glass to take it to a repair shop?

There is wood trim that I've removed from around the frame...but the glass and frame does not easily come out.

Tks in advance.

Broken and in pane...
Hi Ryan,

Tho, I install Pellas, I am not real familiar with the 'exact construction' of Pella sliders. I would suggest that you first contact Pella to confirm that you can even do what you want to do. Give them the 'model' of the slider. In all probability the panel may be a sealed unit, and the glass not replacable. An entire new panel might need to be ordered.

(If Pella says that your slider model's glass can be replaced - Contact a 'glass company' and ask them if they are willing to take the whole panel and remove the damaged glass for you - prior to them installing the new glass - in the panel....)

Good Luck

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-18-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: grammar
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

If you are in a major metro, markey you may be able to have it replaced quickly at a reasonable cost, all things considered.

I bought a 26 year old townhouse that had a fogged IGU panel. It was the older 6' wide that is wider than todays 6' units.

I called for prices at several glass stores, but you usually need an exact measurement (height, width AND thickness).

The sercice man came out with his truck to measure the panel. It turned out to be a fairly common size and he had a replacement unit.

Twenty minutes later, I had a new unit installed, the door wheels cleaned and adjusted, the screen wheels cleaned and adjusted for about $230.

All things considered, it was a good deal. I could have taken the unit out, taken it in, had a new unit made, installed, cleaned... etc., but it didn't make sense to go through all that and the time and running around.

Call around. You may find something good. If you have an odd size, you may wait a day or two, but supposedly the price is not that much different since all units are made in the local shop.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote